What Classical are you spinning?

1 Like

1 Like

4 Likes

A couple of years ago, a biography about Van Cliburn came out. It’s called Moscow Nights. I thought it was very interesting.

He won the first Tchaikovsky piano competition in 1958, where the cover photo above was taken. The second competition was more interesting, a political equal first for Ashkensy and John Ogdon. The very wise panel Chairman was Emil Gilels. I read this book a few years ago, truly the saddest biography I’ve ever read, but well worth reading.

Thanks for posting that. Sounds interesting. A few years ago ArkivMusic released a collection of his RCA albums on CD at a ridiculous price. I got it and it’s become a favorite in my collection.

I have one or two on vinyl collecting dust and if are in the UK would happily send.

He had an strong affinity for Busoni and was obsessed with Melville’s Moby Dick most of his life. I’ve heard little Busoni, but did hear Igor Levit play a few pieces including the Fantasia contrappuntistica in this slightly ambitious recital.

https://wigmore-hall.org.uk/whats-on/igor-levit-201605051930

Thank you for that offer, but I’m in the U.S.

Another biography that came out recently is the biography of George Szell. Written by the wife of one of the members of his orchestra who is also a musician. He is definitely the reason the Cleveland Symphony is on the map.

That sounds interesting. Thanks!

The Cleveland Orchestra has had a remarkable run of conductors and assistant conductors since the 1940s.

1 Like

2 Likes

At dinner one evening talked to Stanley Drucker about the many legendary conductors he played for during his 62 years with the New York Philharmonic. Recall he said Szell was a great conductor but the nastiest of them all.

Aside of the good music, a really great, super transparent sound with perfect tonality and palpable solo instruments.

1 Like

A 6LP box set that I purchased recently.
Joseph Hayden 12 named symphonies done by
Academy of St. Martin-in-the-fields.

Thanks for that, think I will download it. There is an enjoyable version of the CPE Bach concerto by Arcangelo Jonathan Cohen, also on Hyperion.

Playing this now. Isserlis is a most engaging performer with a good sense of humour and likes to talk.