What Classical are you spinning?

2 Likes

Could not track down the Harnoncourt so this will have to suffice.

1 Like

There are many compositions in homage to St. Cecilia.

The Hymn to St Cecilia , Op. 27 by Benjamin Britten is one I particularly enjoy. I like this version with Paul McCreesh as I know him.

2 Likes

There is a remarkable Basilica in honour of St Ceciia in Rome (actually in Travastere). It’s rather ornate, to say the least. 12th century, I seem to recall.

2 Likes

I have a nice story about my wonderful wife and St Cecilia’s Basilica. So we’re in our hotel 8:30 Saturday evening with a 2-star Michelin restaurant and we sit down for dinner and it’s a bit cold and the menu was not that interesting, so we ask the concierge and he puts us in a taxi to somewhere. Anyway, we do the old google “Best restaurant in Rome” thing and come across Glass Hostaria in Travastere, I call, they laugh and hang up. So my tells the driver to go there anyway, she does her thing (I don’t know how) and 5 minutes later we have a table. It was absolutely wonderful, with St Cecilia looking over us from her Basilica opposite.

1 Like

I have the Harnoncourt on LP, it is in “Handel Edition Volume 7” in Qobuz.

Listening to Pinnock’s version now, a star cast.

My intent is to pick up the LP via DiscOgs if the local purveyor doesnot have a copy.

2 Likes

This record was preserved in mint condition. Over the years I accumulated Beethoven’s 5th piano concerto LPs by Brendel, Pollini, Kempff and Ashkenazy. Zimmerman’s is on CD. All are enjoyable.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Partita V In G Major (BWV 829). Perfect for our fresh cleansing morning snowfall.

3 Likes

I loves me some Schiff. :heart:

2 Likes

That was the set that really put Schiff on the global stage. Don’t know where that cover came from, it’s not the original one. I love his recitals. He talks a lot, he’s very engaging, and they normally go on an hour longer than advertised.

1 Like

Yevgeny Sudbin is a fine pianist, lives just up the road here in the London suburbs, I was looking for local architects the other day and came across his house with amazing space for two pianos, as his wife and kids are all musicians. I then got to listen to a few of his recordings, including the Scarlatti.

I’ve heard him in recital play some very interesting programmes, especially Russian music, I also heard him play Beethoven with the Icelandic Symphony (a very fine orchestra) in the magnificent Elborg Hall. I got a nice picture of his back and other one out of focus, but I was more interested in the architecture.

2 Likes

I thought that must be the case, since he didn’t start out on ECM. I’ve had his Denon recording of the Haydn sonatas for many years, and loved it so much, I just found and bought his three-disc “The Denon Recordings” set, even though it duplicated the Haydn.

2 Likes

I shall seek those Haydn sonatas on Denon as well.

1 Like

That is a fabulous recording of the 2nd, especially on SACD. I read when I got it that this recording used a rediscovered/restored manuscript that’s said to be substantially different and more true to the source. Whether it’s all that different or not, I don’t know, but I mentioned it on some social media platform or other (maybe even here) and was poo-poo’d.

1 Like

9 CDs

1 Like

5CDs