What Classical are you spinning?

2 Likes

I admit I bought this without being at all familiar with the work because a) it was on sale, b) I like Sibelius in general, and c) it had a cool cover. :rofl: But I’m liking it a lot, and it’s a great recording.

2 Likes

What’s going on? I was dipping into that set yesterday.

1 Like

4 Likes

You may notice that I listen to a lot of chamber music. I think many people of my age do.Especially those with grandchildren like me! :joy:

Will check it out.

I listen to lots of chamber music because I like going to listen to it and it works very well on home stereo systems.

I’m listening to this one.
51uD+cMwOSL.AC

The picture is unmistakably the Oslo concert hall/opera house (they can have a full opera dress rehearsal in the afternoon and play a concert 2 hours later) which is not that big, but big for a piano trio and you can tell on this recording. However it is quite nice and warm and has a grandness to the playing, at a nice relaxed pace.

1 Like

It was the Decca (London) 1984 recording of the Partitas (aided by Glenn Gould’s John the Baptist pronouncement) that made Schiff prominent. This ecm recording was made live in 2009.

5 Likes

and a nice Origin Live Silver by the look of it.

It’s the Onyx. I was not generous in reviving the almost 30 year old SL1200 MK2. It used to sport VDH MC Two and VDH silver tonearm cable. Eventually, the bias failed and the tonearm had to go. The MC Two was sent to VDH, was rebuilt and returned. By mistake, I tried to mount it using aluminum bolts only to have molecular bonding and compromise the cartridge while trying to release it. A fcostly lesson and a huge disappointment. RP8 took over from the SL1200, but I do turn to the SL from time to time.

That’s a shame. VDH did a cantilever and stylus replacement of my Koetsu Urushi 3 years ago because its the same Boron unit, they did a very good job. I had the stylus checked 6 months ago and it is only 10% worn after 3 years. That’s the benefit of wet-cleaning records.

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. Wet cleaning and antistatic inner sleeves are essential.

1 Like

It is absolutely amazing how less stylus wear occurs when records have been wet cleaned, besides the records sounding a lot better, with NO pops or clicks. I use the Loricraft, but my dealer sells the Degritter, so it should be pretty good. My machine cost £1,300, which is what you pay for a mid-price cartridge. Not having a record cleaner in a decent vinyl system makes no sense at all.

2 Likes

In addition to all the above, using higher standard diamond cuts reduces surface noise and allows the stylus to last longer.

1 Like

2 Likes

Glorious tunes.

2 Likes

6 Likes

Indispensable!

1 Like