What Classical are you spinning?

I actually like a bit of atonal :wink:

1 Like

Of course. :slight_smile:

Consider how even if you have not heard the film score before one can always recognize near instantly it was written to accompany film. I do not watch movies. Yet when I hear a film score I know immediately it is not a concert piece to be listened to seriously, but a bit of fun fluff. This is not bad, but it is not art music.

Consider also the lack of development, the bleeding chunks of a minute or two which make sense when performed while watching the film but make little sense on their own, etc.

Future generations will not consider Hans Zimmer a classical composer - Pirates as an opus? :grin:

Of potential interest:

I also suggest tracking down and listening to some of John Williams’ concert pieces, e.g., his horn concerto. One would never mistake it for a film score.

Oh I don’t know if I can agree with this take. What exactly is “art music”?

For me, there has never been someone who decides to make music where its not art. Even if they are plucking one guitar string in their bedroom. It might not be to your tastes, or mine - but its still the process of making art.

(edit for typo)

1 Like

Alexander Arutunian’s Trumpet Concerto and the Zimmermann are well known and the Arutunian is often played (I recorded it a couple of years ago). The Zimmermann is very difficult - and sounds it.

I am delighted to learn you are enjoying them.

1 Like

An interesting view; plucking a single guitar string as “art.”

Then everything is art. Which I guess is not a bad mindset, nicely positive in outlook.

I will ask a few more questions before buying the CD however.

1 Like

Ha - as you should! Still, you might be surprised :wink:

1 Like

I have been surprised before - good and bad.

One thing which will never cease to amaze me is every small child seems to have one piece of visual art in them, usually a drawing, which truly captures something such as “catness.” It may be nearly abstract but it speaks.

They usually age out at four or five, ending their career.

1 Like

How nice.

1 Like

It was a great experience.

1 Like

2 Likes

Schumann’s Piano Sonata Op.11 is nice. All in all, it is indeed a melancholic CD.

2 Likes

4 Likes

1 Like

A gorgeous rotary valve C trumpet as favored by many European orchestras.

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

Hopefully no one minds the cross posting.
Julius Eastman, an under recognized composer and rather tragic figure composed Femenine in 1974.
Here we have a re-interpretation by Ensemble O Aum Grand Ensemble. Recommended for fans willing to explore minimalist music along the lines of Adams, Glass, Reich, and Riley.

2 Likes

Followed up with a different version. A more delicate presentation more fitting with the title than the Ensemble O Aum Grand Ensemble performance which is more driven with emphasizing a bottom end with basoon and bass. Neither interpretation is particularly right, just different enough to merit owning each.

1 Like

3 Likes