What Classical are you spinning?

Those old 35mm film Living Presence recordings are amazing.

1 Like

Been listening to the scherzo capriccioso. This was one of the first blu-ray audio sets that Decca/Universal put out, I think. I keep wishing they’d do more.

4 Likes

Supposedly, world premier on period instruments (early Romantic period) I love it.

1 Like

3 Likes

Couldn’t help a comparison with LA Philharmonic version

2 Likes

Today I was spinning this hires, but just ordered the newly released 180g LP, too, because if there’s one superior interpretation, than this.

Celibidache’s slow, transcendental approach has a suction effect like nothing else. You barely can’t stop it before the end.

The 3rd and 4th and one more, unlike the other symphonies, are analog recordings in this series, so maybe the LP is AAA, but I don’t dare to hope nowadays. Anyway a must have if you listen to Bruckner.

4 Likes

The latest from BBC Music Magazine. I clearly need to explore more Liszt - the Sonata in b (S.178) has some wilder stuff in it than I’m used to hearing from him. Some passages sound almost contemporary. Sound is pretty good, too. I can’t say I’m familiar with Ms. Zee, but she does a creditable job.

2 Likes

One of my all-time favorites. Can’t wait for my PW SACDT to get here.

5 Likes

The winning Mahler is deserving of the award.

2 Likes

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks yes, also the Olafsson was one of my surprises this year. The quality of both is immediately recognized.

1 Like

Agree on the Olafsson. As a plus, when I went to Presto to order it, I saw they had it on LP (2 discs), pressed on clear vinyl. How could I say no to that? Kind of a trip to see a clear record on the turntable:

4 Likes

3 Likes

I posted this six months back. Now: 17 CDs for $37.25

2 Likes

2 Likes

With a local light dusting of snow here it seemed like a perfect morning for Handel’s Organ Concertos Op. 4.
Four inches of snow anticipated. Now where did I put those snow shoes?

4 Likes

Just as Vänskä, I collect quite some Dausgaard recordings. Seems to match my taste of interpretation.

2 Likes

Stumbled across this mixed in with some jazz LPs when stopped in at our summer home this afternoon. Dynamic and a fun listen. Now its back in with the LPs next to the turntable for a follow up spin upon my return.

5 Likes

Great find!

1 Like