What Classical are you spinning?

What a lovely person

71+zQfXxrKS.AC_SS260
Solo piano—one of my favorite records to test for sound quality.

3 Likes

2 Likes

After learning that Charlie Parker’s favorite Classical composer was Stravinsky (specifically Le Sacre du printemps), I’m looking for the definitive version. Enjoying Pierre Boulez w/ Cleveland Orchestra from 2002. Can I do better (with Qobuz)?

The best sounding version I have (and I have no issues with the performance either - it’s very nice) is Andrew Litton and the Bergen Philharmonic on BIS. I have it on SACD and it’s terrific. Qobuz has it in hi-res, though I don’t know the numbers off the top of my head. It has some great low frequency content.

http://open.qobuz.com/album/7318599914749

1 Like

Just got this inexpensive Linn SACD from Berkshire Record Outlet yesterday, and it’s great, if you’re a fan of lieder. Unlike my prior favorite recording of Winterreise by Mark Padmore and Kristian Bezuidenhout on Harmonia Munda, this is a much dryer recording, with a closer mic arrangement. It sounds very much like a chamber performance, where the HM recording has a large hall perspective.

3 Likes

3 Likes

The best recording (for SQ) that I know of is by Esa-Pekka Salonen with the Los Angeles Philharmonic:

However I still have a soft spot for the version with Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra, my favorite as a teenager and a gateway drug for me into Western classical music. It is a bit brutal (appropriately) and possibly lacking in finesse, but it is so rhythmically alive. It made my college era vinyl system sound like a million bucks. The digital versions I’ve heard are good but can’t really compare with more modern recordings (especially the low end):

Also check out the performance by the Pina Bausch dance company on You Tube at:
Pina Bausch Le Sacre du Printemps/The Rite of Spring /Tavaszi ĂĄldozat 1978 - YouTube.

2 Likes

I have this on both SACD as well as CD, and both sound great and pretty much indisguingishable from each other, so well recorded, so well mastered. The CD
edition is from the Decca / Zubin Mehta box set, that’s one of the best CD sounding
sets of individual CDs nevermind as a box set in my collection of 8000 CDs / SACDs
/ DVD-A ? Bluray-A discs…

this is a great disc, great for a live recording and also testing bass (2nd movement). I have a few recordings of this work, but this is about the best in terms of quality imho

1 Like

Wonderful choral works, performed by the Latvian Radio Chamber Singers.

1 Like

Very good performance.

The JVC was on vinyl? The cover appears different when I took a look for it on vinyl. Maybe you posted the CD?

Posting was definitely from a cd; my vinyl was destroyed in a flood🤨

1 Like

that is the most painful thing I have read today

1 Like

I lost mine the same way in 2004 :frowning:

ugh! no! you two are depressing me!

double checking all my vinyl is off the floor and that I still live on a hill.

:white_check_mark:

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

This one is certainly not for the traditionalists, but the recording, like many from Naxos, is superb. Listening to his Quartet No.1, I found myself wondering if any of the instruments had suffered damage from performing the piece.

4 Likes