What Classical are you spinning?

Well, the love of Janet Baker certainly does place us within a certain generation or two, does it not? I am envious that you were able to her her sing live. For me, only her recordings–which thankfully were nicely recorded.

And speaking of Dame Baker, does anyone know of a digital download available of her marvelous recording of the Holst Savitri? I loved it on LP, but have not been able to replace it now that I am digital-files-only for my listening.

Argo ZNF 6

I have those on SACD and they are certainly wonderful recordings. Wish I had the DSD256 to listen to.

1 Like

Rachel Podger is popular around here as well. We went to her first post-lockdown performance at Wigmore Hall, hence the half empty seating. We were in Joe & the Juice just before, she came in for a coffee and a sandwich and was so excited she almost threw her coffee over my wife. She and Kristian Bezuidenhout played a load of Bach violin sonatas and she wouldn’t shut up!

:rofl: This story sounds so much like I imagine her, not having the opportunity to have actually met her.

The only time I met her she almost threw coffee over my wife. During lockdown the Wigmore Hall coffee shop and restaurant were closed and presumably normally get coffee and sandwiches delivered to their dressing room, so in those days they had to self-cater. Some places you get to chat to performers, others not.

A majestic performance made even better with the glorious sound of this transfer

This is a majestic performance by Klemperer and the Philharmonia Orchestra. Klemperer moves things right along but gives space for all of the nobility which this music contains. Some may quibble about tempo choices here and there, but overall this is an excellent performance. If you are tired of how quickly Mravinsky takes it and are tired with how slow (and sappily) some others play it, you will join me in finding great satisfaction in this version.

Yes, the fourth movement is played at a slow, and slower, pace. But is has majesty. And given the felicities of the earlier movements, I’m willing to accept Klemperer’s grandeur here. The very end is as rousing as any performance we have.

The sound quality of HDTT’s transfer (to which I’m listening in DSD256) is up to their usual high standards. In a word: Excellent. (download here)

3 Likes

I admit to being under a rock sometimes, because I’d not listened to this recording until now. And now everyone has heard and enthused over it. Well, even late to the party, I’ll join in.

This is a wonderful recording of delightful Villa-Lobos works alternating with delicate and exuberant compositions by composers influenced by Villa-Lobos. Her playing is sensitive and virtuosic. Listen for the very end of “Pixinguinha” (track 2)—what a delightful final, very delicate string pluck with which to end. Her entire performance is filled with delicate touches like this. A Pure DSD256 recording by Gonzalo Noqué. (review here) (NativeDSD download here)

More solo guitar anyone? Here are some modern composers (Andriessen, Strootman, De Graaf…) superbly well played and recorded (available here):

No review yet. First listen. But I suspect a review will come from what I’m hearing!

(HDTT download available here)
This has always been a favorite album from Readers Digest series and the Chesky reissue on LP. It sounds better than ever in this DSD256 transfer – HDTT has done a superb job in giving us this marvelous recording in a rich, full, transparent new transfer. The outstanding quality of Wilkinson’s recording is set forth brilliantly in this release.

Munch is a magician in these performances. His Francesca da Rimini is perhaps the best ever produced, with large orchestra and large recording venue and emphasized by that deep reverberating gong that comes across enormously well in this transfer. There is delicious madness in the brass, percussion, and gongs whirling through the closing moments. Turn the volume up and let it rip!

Munch delivers Bizet’s delightfully light-hearted Symphony in C with lightness, spirit and sparkle in a decidedly excellent performance. But it is the Francesca for which I come to this album.

FYI, the Chesky LP cover to jog memories.

3 Likes

An Everest recording now released in DSD256/DXD by HDTT. The sound quality is outstanding! Recorded in 1958 and produced by the inestimable Bert Whyte.

As is HDTT’s current processing routing for tapes that need a bit of work in post, this release was transferred from tape to a DSD256 Master, then edited in DXD (PCM). The DXD edited master was used to generate the final DSD files using Merging Technologies Album Publishing. I prefer to listen to the DSD256 files these days. They are just a bit more open and transparent than the DXD edit master on my system. YMMV.