What do you do when you $300 CD player sounds better?

Wow, I think the regular cost in the US is at least US$ 6k that was a significant offer.

Is it still active? Because EUR 6900 compared to US$ 4000 seems a bit odd. Converted to US$ that is nearly double the amount.

But regardless, I would try a straight point to point Audio grade USB cable without interface conversion box, prior to investing into streamer boxes, more expensive DAC’s. Maybe he can borrow such cable to try.

I just watched a DARCO video about streamers, if I get that message right, buying a audiophile streamer like the Innuos Zen might then be the next step, however, @jfeighny already has tuned that Acer PC with an audio grade USB interface and linear power supplies.

Like you said, enjoy the CD’s.

My experience with PC’s is that those rabbit holes are very deep compatibility issues between soft and hardware make you start configuring the systems every 4 years or so all over.

Money is much better spent on speakers.

2 Likes

Well the regular AQVOX is about $400 and works well. I had one of those before I went for the SOTM. I was surprised at how much difference it made.

1 Like

Which SOTM switch did you select and how wast it specified, if you don’t mind sharing the details?

Thank you.

The SOtM - sNH-10G audio grade network switch - I didn’t get it with the clock upgrade (although if I was buying now I would have paid the extra money to get it). I have it arranged with an optical media converter between it and the Roon Nucleus and also between it and the router. That way there is no direct ethernet connection between it and the computer or the rest of the network.

10-4.

Thanks.

SEE

Well, I joined your little party by connecting a Sony Blu-ray player’s coax to a NuWave DSD and, when spinning CDs, it blows Roon away.

2 Likes

Do you have UPnP or MPD/DLNA capability? Microrendu should be compatible. Try some computer files that way and compare. I like Roon, but I think MPD sounds better. I use Audirvana, JRiver, Roon and have a hard drive direct connected (MPD) with a Bryston player as well.

Nothing wrong with spinning discs either.

1 Like

I too have the SGCD/Preamp. My Hombrew PC has no fans on the Motherboard or in the Separated Power Supply. It has enough processing power for Hi Res PCM audio. DSD is played through the analog outs of my Sony transport’s true DSD DAC (2.0) and via my true DSD Sony AVR’s for 5.1 playback.

From what I’m told and what I see in both Nero & Audacity. I’ve compared two PC’s and a laptop I have with the SGCD plugged in with the latest drivers. Even though processing power and age varies between the PC’s. The main constant is the SGCD plugged into all three. While not a purely scientific approach involving an Audio Precision One or a real spectrum analyzer or even a decent sampling or old school analog TV tube scope. It’s all I got.

Without providing screenshots, it might seem like BS but I clearly notice the noise floor rise in the laptop (CPU fan kicks in from time to time) and worse in the 13 year old Desktop PC with no CPU heatsink but the factory power supply does have a fan in it. The noise floor in Audacity or Nero is basically how thin or thick is the flatline of the left and right “0dBm” lines are. Again, not a very scientific method but it explains a lot of I’ve read up on.

My HTPC with the same SGCD plugged in shows razor thin left & right “0dBm” line’s in both Audacity & Nero. Reading the other folks’ post here, they are also suspicious to the way your PC’s setup. It explains a lot why your CD player sounds better than your PC when playing back PCM files. Mind you though, I find my HTPC’s USB connection into the SGCD a bit than on Bass extension but better on my coaxial connection from my Sony Transport. Again no fault of the PS Audio SGCD, but more in my Motherboard’s USB setup. I’m sure adding a Sonore or Matrix-2 USB to I2S HDMI adapter would improve it.

CPU Fan noise (dust build up), power supplies w/ fans, and GPU with fans are obvious sources of noise EMI or other (possible RFI ?). My HTPC and the rest of my networked devices are all hard wired shielded Ethernet connections. WiFi only controls the hard wired deviced via iPads, laptops, iPhones, etc.

Please feel free to call me out on my BS. I tend to learn from legit criticism rather than troll.

1 Like

PC/Digital based Rabbit Holes suck…period. Analog Rabbit Holes are a lot more fun and easier. If your lucky, the analog Rabbit Hole can be cheaper depending on the problem.

While I gave up on LP’s years ago and am all digital now. DSD is my favourite and PCM still sounds damn good played through the SGCD’s Coax input.

1 Like

This is where desktops beat laptops. The processor in my iMac runs idle. No fan at all.

Coming back to the subject. A decent point to point Audio grade USB cable might just do the job.

When DARKO tested the ifi galvanic separator, his conclusion was: if USB Audio quality had a scale from 1 to 10, on a raspberry pi with USB, the galvanic separator took the quality from 2 to 2.2, he just did not want to deny that the sound quality would not benefit in one way or the other from that unit. But Is that worth the extra 400 to 500 Euro including the extra cable?

1 Like

Interestingly enough, when I tested using Jackie McLean Destination Out VS CD, The DSD File blew away the CD played on the $300 NAD CD Player. I’m thinking about upgrading the USB Cable or maybe upgrading to the Sonore Optical Rendu

2 Likes

Good for you, don’t disregard the NAD CD player, they always were and probably still are references in the price class or even above. So no wonder the USB computer source has difficulties competing.

Try a longer USB cable it might just work for you, sounds like you “audiophiled” your PC already. I’d let the PC play a silent piece and jack up the volume @rajugsw had some good idea’s how to test the USB chain as well.

Thanks for providing a link to another web-site that makes DSD available for download. I used Blue Coast Records till date.

1 Like

I just can’t be wondering that maybe you are not using Tidal “hifi” setting. Maybe you are not streaming in cd-quality? Just wondering how difference can be so huge.

1 Like