What is the Bridge recovery procedure for the DS?

After 2.15 -> 2.15a upgrade the DS does not see the Bridge anymore (the DS automatically rebooted and the Bridge disappeared). Pressing the “Bridge Update” button does not help, the DS says “Bridge not found”.

What is the current Bridge recovery procedure for the DS?

there are 2 options.

1/ rescue, rarely needed and only if the update was really interrupted and firmware is toast.

I would not do this since the rescue file I have probably puts you back to default {PWD] status and may be difficult to get back with a DS.

2/ net-fix, which will reset the network connection but not the firmware.

Need a couple of answers b4 I can clearly suggest.

SKYPE? VIBER?

1. This is my concern exactly. So there must be a new rescue file for the DS, hence the thread ;)

2. Not sure how this is going to help, since the DS does not recognize the Bridge.

Anyway, I’ve opened the DS to replace the fuses and rewire the ground. That should give some time to discharge the capacitors ;)

It usually gets fixed by the net-fix.

Unless someone or something has interrupted the process, rescue can cause more harm than good.

It may come back when you re-power after the grounding.

Remove the sd card and reboot first time with no cables connected.

then reconnect ethernet and reboot again.

Do NOT put the bridge in the dishwasher.

Nope, it did not reappear. The DS still does not see the Bridge.

send me your email by pm and I will send you net-fix, if you don’t have it.

Never mind, I got it from Interpol.2guns_gif

Just load the 2 files from the zip to a USB key and reboot with it.

gordon said send me your email by pm and I will send you net-fix, if you don't have it.

Never mind, I got it from Interpol.2guns_gif

24_gif

I already tried the netfix - did not help. Dennis sent me the rescue file for the DS (2.15) which also did not work. Trying various combinations now ;)

According to Dennis my Bridge is dead. I think it’s a sign to explore other possibilities ;)

USB has it’s own advantages although, I still find the Bridge SQ superior. { Silver Starlight USB cable is middle of the road so it could be improved.

If you have a friend or dealer with a PWD then perhaps give it a try with the old firmware and fix. Other than a short, how can a Bridge die?

gordon said USB has it's own advantages although, I still find the Bridge SQ superior. { Silver Starlight USB cable is middle of the road so it could be improved.

If you have a friend or dealer with a PWD then perhaps give it a try with the old firmware and fix. Other than a short, how can a Bridge die?

No idea, Dennis said RMA.

As of USB vs Bridge - did you try USB with the Bridge removed?

Sure did.

When your Dutch confrere suggested it.

I did NOT hear any difference though.

My route would be Bridge or I2s for SQ.

I2s also will deliver raw DSD if that rings your bell.

Of course, the PSA mapping make make that a more limited choice.

PSA should post a rescue file for the DSD. Based on past experiences, I seriously doubt Alekz will be the last to run into problems with Bridge updates. He obviously did not do anything to bring this on (other than pressing the update button). I’m glad I installed 2.15a while my PWD was still a PWD.

Another interesting question. Should the “Update Bridge” button (in the “gear” menu) reboot the DS even if the Bridge is not found? What does this “button” actually do?

I’m not sure I like this concept of Web based FW installs. One glitch on the 'net and you could possibly toast the Bridge. My opinion, a FW update should not be made available via the Web if it isn’t also available via download. That way some could take a direct install route or a Web route.

tony22 said I'm not sure I like this concept of Web based FW installs. One glitch on the 'net and you could possibly toast the Bridge. My opinion, a FW update should not be made available via the Web if it isn't also available via download. That way some could take a direct install route or a Web route.
Actually, both methods work exactly the same. The Bridge downloads the file to its local file system and then installs.

Have you tried a DS firmware update?. I have had my PWD lose the Bridge a couple of times and sometimes a PWD firmware update was the only thing that got it back. If I understand Ted correctly, the DAC system controller is in the display module, so this is a common feature between PWD and DS. Since we have seen balance setting issues with DS upgrades possibly caused by uninitialized memory, my guess is that something in the controller memory is getting corrupted and not being reset by anything other than a firmware rewrite. This controler seems to be a finicky beast!

J.P.

Alekz said

Actually, both methods work exactly the same. The Bridge downloads the file to its local file system and then installs.

Thanks Alekz. That sounds a lot better.smile

wingsounds13 said Have you tried a DS firmware update?. I have had my PWD lose the Bridge a couple of times and sometimes a PWD firmware update was the only thing that got it back. If I understand Ted correctly, the DAC system controller is in the display module, so this is a common feature between PWD and DS. Since we have seen balance setting issues with DS upgrades possibly caused by uninitialized memory, my guess is that something in the controller memory is getting corrupted and not being reset by anything other than a firmware rewrite. This controler seems to be a finicky beast!

J.P.

Not yet, but this is what I’m going to try today or tomorrow. There is another DS firmware available, so I can try switching between them.

Alekz said
wingsounds13 said Have you tried a DS firmware update?. I have had my PWD lose the Bridge a couple of times and sometimes a PWD firmware update was the only thing that got it back. If I understand Ted correctly, the DAC system controller is in the display module, so this is a common feature between PWD and DS. Since we have seen balance setting issues with DS upgrades possibly caused by uninitialized memory, my guess is that something in the controller memory is getting corrupted and not being reset by anything other than a firmware rewrite. This controler seems to be a finicky beast!

J.P.

Not yet, but this is what I’m going to try today or tomorrow. There is another DS firmware available, so I can try switching between them.

The DS firmware upgrade does not work :D