What kind of THD in and out are you getting?

Just curious what people are seeing as average THD in and out of their PP?

Unfortunately for me, nothing...the beast is busted and in for repair :-((

You people are wimps! :stuck_out_tongue:

I run my P10 at 875 watts. 2.5% in and 0.1% out. Input usually spans from 117v to 122v and I set the output at 120v.

Master bedroom system PPP: 1.7% in, 0.4% out.

Two channel system P10: 1.7% in, 0.3% out.

Home theater system P5: 1.5% in, 0.5% out.

Home theater system P10: 1.0% in, 0.5% out.

The current incoming THDs are normal. Three of the current outgoing THDs are higher than normal. All of the outgoing THDs are usually in the range of 0.1% to 0.3%

kjshum said: I run my P10 at 875 watts.

what do you have hooked up to it that pulls that kind of juice?

Multiple Class A tube amps!

Master bedroom system PPP: 1.7% in, 0.4% out.
Two channel system P10: 1.7% in, 0.3% out.
Home theater system P5: 1.5% in, 0.5% out.
Home theater system P10: 1.0% in, 0.5% out.

The current incoming THDs are normal. Three of the current outgoing THDs are higher than normal. All of the outgoing THDs are usually in the range of 0.1% to 0.3%

DK, wow thats some seriously awesome figures. Do you have dedicated line or something?

Yes, dedicated lines for all.

DK, I am curious what your experience is in terms of sound quality before and after the PP given that you have dedicated lines. With the dedicated lines did you see a lot of variation in voltage from the wall? I am curious if dedicated lines are necessary if one uses a PP and vice versa.

tboooe,

My power is fairly stable and I do not see a lot of voltage variation on either the dedicated lines or the other ordinary household lines.

Dedicated lines are not necessary, but they help to lower the noise delivered to the power plant, which means the power plant has less work to do.

I posted detailed reviews of my PPP, P5, and P10 at the following links:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?71545-Studies-On-Residential-Power-Line-Noise-Part-3-PS-Audio-Power-Plant-Premier

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?126408-Studies-On-Residential-Power-Line-Noise-Part-9-PS-Audio-P5-AC-Regenerator

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?126544-Studies-On-Residential-Power-Line-Noise-Part-10-PS-Audio-P10-AC-Regenerator

DK, i read your reviews. Great work. I am particularly interested in your assertion that the P10 sounded better than the P5 even though you are only drawing a fraction of the total available power. I currently have the P3 and have been VERY impressed with the improvement I got but like any self respecting audiophile I am always looking for more. I wonder if the P5 would give further improvements???

The p10 sounds better than the P5 under just about any conditions - bigger power supply, etc. make it always have lower impedance and better sound.

Thank you Paul. Would you also say the P5 sounds better than the P3?

Yes, same sort of thing - the P3 has a smaller transformer and will sound slightly weaker.

I hope to receive a P5 tommorow. :-bd

Probably the harmonic distortion wil be large living in an apartment block.

I’m going to feed a Classe pre- and poweramp a blu-ray multiplayer and a PWD.

My system already sound good in my opinion, but I’m really curious about what the P5 can do.

Any suggestions how to connect or things to think about are welcome!

In case of a 230volt unit does it feed twice 115volt or just 230volt and neutral?

In my current setup every unit is measured to which contact phase and neutral should be connected for the best sound.

Gr

Wijnand

@wijnand, you should be very happy with the results! My little P3 gave me more of an improvement than any other component in my system aside from speakers. I am auditioning a Synergistic Research Tungsten power cord and am happy with the results, increase clarity and bit more of a holographic presentation of the vocals. Keep us updated on your findings.

That’s great! Please let us know you’re experience with the P5. It should help make everything plugged into it sound more dynamic, open the soundstage and help transparency a great deal. Just make sure you’re using good power cables. Let us know if you need any help.

Yes, same sort of thing - the P3 has a smaller transformer and will sound slightly weaker.

I did read the reviews about the P10 sounding better than the P5. I bought a P10 to compare to my P5 in the stereo. Definitley better but hard to believe.

In our little a home Theater system, the P5 did wonders for both the sound and picture of our plasma TV. More saturated colors with more dynamic shadings of blacks and less video noise in the picture. Sound was more dynamic and also much less brightness or edginess in the top end.

Hard to put in words, but my wife would not let me take my P5 out of our HT system for more than a day to put in my 2 channel stereo due to the improvement in picture alone. The solution was for us to sell the P5 and buy 2 new black P10s; one each for my 2 channel stereo and another for the our HT system. Just my 2 cents.

Opinions are nice, but the only way to know is to take a 30 day test drive with one of the Power Plants.

Bob

@tboooe

@wijnand, you should be very happy with the results! My little P3 gave me more of an improvement than any other component in my system aside from speakers. I am auditioning a Synergistic Research Tungsten power cord and am happy with the results, increase clarity and bit more of a holographic presentation of the vocals. Keep us updated on your findings.

I am also using the Synergistic Research Tungsten PCs in my 2 channel stereo system and find them to be the best in their price range. That being said, I use the PS Audio P12 PCs to both my P10s which are preconditioned by either a Audience aR1p or aR2p-TO passive conditioner. In my system my P10s sound and give a better picture preconditioned by either of the wall-wart Audience passive conditioners. In any situation it is best to experiment for the best sound and picture. Once again, just my 2 cents and my finding with these great conditioners.

Bob

@nordicbob, good to hear someone else is liking the Tungsten power cords! What “bullet” are you using. In my system and my ears, the silver sounds the best.

Did you hear about the mod that is available to the MPC? Its supposed to surpass the SR Gallileo MPC for only a fraction of the price. I am going to give it a shot. Let me know if you are interested.

By the way, I am going to give some conditioning some consideration. The Audience looks nice. Too bad PS Audio doesnt make this kind of product, aside from whats available with the Powerbase.

My first impression with the P5 is that it’s a very solid and havy unit. The sound is very thight and bass is stronger and more solid. The sound of mids and hights are very enjoyable too! I think there’s more speed.

These are only the first impressions, but so far I like the P5 a lot. :-bd