What the heck happened?

Went to power up my system this evening, and failed. The P5 was on, front panel screen on, but no power to components. I checked the display, and it showed output distortion in excess of 6%. I powered everything down, checked all the connections, turn off the unit at the back, turned it back on in the back, and pushed the reset button. Voila. The only thing I can think of that was out of the ordinary today was an interruption of power that lasted about half a second earlier this evening, well before I wanted to listen, when nothing was powered. The P5 was in its normal standby mode, rear switch on, but no display or blue light on front panel. Thoughts?

Just to be clear, everything is functioning normally now?

Listening right now. Perfect, like nothing happened.

Find a piece of wood and touch it. Maybe you just had an innocuous microprocessor hiccup.

Will do. My theory is that the half-Second power outage or surge may have tripped the P5’s protection. Anyway, all’s well that ends well.

Invoking a protection mode should not cause the THD out to go up like that.

I’m only guessing.

Invoking a protection mode should either shut down all the outputs, or by-pass the re-generator and directly connect the input to the output. A correctly functioning protection mode shouldn’t see something worse on the output than what’s on the input.

Speaking for myself: I’m not taking any chances. Not in South Africa you don’t! So I have a 3Kva pure sine UPS hardwired in my DB board driving my P20 in battery mode 24/7. Soon to be augmented by at least 2x12V 200aH deep cycle batteries for longer run time.

A reasonable guess.

It happened again tonight. A fraction of a second power outage took place, but this time the P5 didn’t go dark. It powered on, but outputted only 113v for an input of 121v, and 6.4% THD when the input level was only 1.7%. Fixed it the same way as before: powered off the unit with the remote, threw the power switch in the back, waited a bit, resumed power with the switch, hit the reset button, and turned on the remote. It’s back to normal now, with the output showing .1% THD.