When the system just don’t matter

I read the question as whether there is music so good you do not need a decent system; that is, you do not care how good the reproduction is because the music is so wonderful.

Your question is somewhat different: Are their recordings so awful you would typically not listen to them except on a good system, but the music is so good you listen anyway.

I am very tolerant of bad recordings and poor reproduction. I cannot think of anything recorded so bad I have trouble listening to it. The only thing I can think of is a digital file so corrupt the music skips, stutters, drops out, so it is hard to follow the music. The pops and crackles and white noise background of a lot of inexpensive vinyl playback does not bother me.

On the other hand, bad performances are hard for me to tolerate - no matter whether it is live or recorded with the highest fidelity. Bad music is just bad music.

For me, nothing specific. But a lot of music does this for me. It is a great experience.

Ironically enough, and its kind of kitschy, but its just not officially Christmas time until I hear Santa Clause is Coming to Town on the radio and Bruce asks Clarence if he has been good. Takes me back to my college days every time, for some reason, and puts a smile on my face.

Not very profound; fun though.

1 Like