Which CD or CD/SACD transport

My Wadia 8 finally died and I am now looking for a suitable transport to go with my DSsnr. I have seen some info on the NuPrime transport with the Philips laser which also has a HDMI out and I am wondering if this output is comparable with the HDMI in on the DS. Has any one heard this unit with the DS.

The DS doesn’t have a HDMI input.

The obvious choice seeing you already own a DS would be a DMP…if you can locate one. If not, a PWT would be a great second choice. Seeing they are both no longer in production, they would be used of course.

All of the Nuprime CD players are compatible with the DS Dacs via I2S. I have been using the CDT-8 for a while.

Or he could wait until the end of the year when the DMP replacement is supposed to be baked and ready.

Or since his player died buy a current replacement that is not discontinued or to be released at sometime undetermined time in the future.

1 Like

Yes he could,depending on one’s budget. I believe Paul said the new player would be more than what the DMP sold for.

Good to know. My Wadia was smooth but lacked a bit of life and finer detail in the top end but the bottom end was awesome.

Or he could wait for PS Audio to do what they sometimes do and have a fire sale and knock $2,000 off the price. Which I mention, upset a few people last time who’d paid $6K for theirs. And upset those who were trying to sell theirs and recover some money to find the fire sale killed their used price expectation.

1 Like

With the CDT-9 the DS will be doing the heavy lifting plus you can order one from AA and if not to your liking return it. Bonus is how compact it is taking up less than half a shelf width. I’m sure the other outputs are fine especially the AES but I hooked it up I2S and left it alone.

More expensive and no SACD. I’m out. I forget which mag, but a reviewer recently went to a show and was pleasantly surprised as to how many new SACD players are hitting the market! So to not offer SACD in the new player is issue for me. Glad I have my DSMP!

4 Likes

I’m also glad that I have DMP. The difference in SQ between CD and SACD, especially with classical music, is too big for me to be happy with the CD.

2 Likes

Actually it’ll probably be the same price now that dust is settling.

Still with the great trade in allowance that you mentioned for those not to thrilled with the DMP’s user performance Paul?

1 Like

Wish the new transport would go back to extracting the data(audio) from the disk and buffering it like the PWT did rather than playing it on the fly like the DMP. They are using what they are calling an air gap to isolate noise opto couplers by another name have been around for a while. I guess when you are not concerned with DSD you are not concerned with speed limitations. Hopefully the new player will also play high res files burned to DVD. I love my DMP in spite of its behavioral issues at times. It sounds wonderful and I can play the DSD layer of my SACD’s I am not in any hurry to replace my DMP!

To my understanding, the DMP does the same thing as the memory player, just less RAM.

No that is simply not true. The Oppo/DMP plays the disk on the fly the data goes through a digital lens but it does not extract the data. I know this to be true as I have a disk that has a flaw that causes loud clicks when played on the DMP but played perfectly on the PWT. If you watch the youtube video in the development of the DMP you will hear Bob say that they found it was not necessary to reread the disk. The PWT ran on Exact Audio Copy type extraction software. The DMP is controlled by the Oppo controller.

I believe Paul said the new MEMORY player stores less info in RAM before it is fed to the digital lens.

After eight years of research and two years of development, PS engineering has been able to shorten
the memory requirements and improve the timing of digital audio data. The new Lens takes advantage
of advances in semiconductor architecture found in FPGAs (Field Programmable Gate Array). Using
a single large scale integrated FPGA, PS chief DMP architect, Bob Stadtherr, devised a segmented
structure including intelligent RAM, two-way isolated communication with the drive, and near-field
output latches controlled by an ultra-low jitter fixed clock.

1 Like

The ram is the digital lens. It originally was called the Directstream Transport than they renamed in the Directstream Memory Player but is does not funtcion like the PWT did. This is why the scan back and forward functions do not work as well on the DMP as they did on the PWT. They disks are spun at playback speeds not high speed like required for extraction. This is why the DMP is physically quieter than the PWT used to be. Sorry to burst the bubble but this is the way it is.

1 Like