WIFI dongle for DSJ (Bridge II)

Hello,

First post on here - I just got a DSJ.

I am wondering if I am able use a WIFI dongle for DSJ (Bridge II) and if so what type? I have read some spec’s that state that you can use a WIFI dongle instead of a wired connection but cannot find any information on this.

I did a search to see if this has been covered on the forum but couldn’t find anything.

I got rid of a Devialet 120 and I’m now running a DSJ directly into a Pass Labs X150.5 - a much more musical sound for sure.

Thanks in advance, Mark

Sure. You just put a wireless access point in client bridge mode and connect it to DSJ. DSJ will then have a wireless link to the local network instead of a wired link.

Thanks for that speedy response. I assume there’ll be thread that deals with suitable wireless access points on the forum?

It’s a topic that comes up from time to time. Unfortunately this forum is not so easy to search. Likely a few members who go this route will notice this thread and respond.

I’ll wait and see.

scumbag said I assume there'll be thread that deals with suitable wireless access points on the forum?
I do not recall one, but there may be.

The best way to search the forum is to use Google; e.g., site:www.psaudio.com “usb driver”

I’m using a 1st generation Eero to do this now. Previously I had a D-Link wireless bridge in this role. I’d just look for something that will work well with your network, provide a few extra ports for additional connections, and offers a stable, fast connection - which should be just about any modern wireless bridge on the market.

thanks all and one for your responses!

So I don’t have a DSJ but my integrated amp only took Ethernet so I tried the TP link AC1200. Awful, kept needing to be reset, just kept going wrong, over and over.

I found the best thing that would work wireless for me is the discontinued Sonos Bridge. You connect one at your router and connect one in whatever room you need Ethernet. This creates its own wireless subnetwork and it has never lost connection or needed to be reset. They are cheap on ebay now, I got one for 20 and one for 15. Really the best thing I could do in an old house until I got the nerve to start drilling holes outside to wire directly from my router. This does nothing to the file, so no difference to the Bridge whether it is High Res or not, it is just data at that point, no processing.

Pretty sure if you needed more than 2 Ethernet ports at the room with the DSJ you could add a switch.

Hope this helps, I spent a lot of money wasting my time with other tech.

Edit You don’t need any of the other Sonos stuff with this, just the bridges. I think it also gets rid of the need to turn off channel switching as one bridge is plugged into the router.

What about those Netgear Wi-Fi extenders that have an Ethernet jack? I have been considering trying one to use with my Raspberry Pi.

Right now I am using it with USB flash drives, and a friend is donating 256G USB hard drive, but if I got it on my network I think I could stream from my dedicated laptop music player.

jeffstarr said

What about those Netgear Wi-Fi extenders that have an Ethernet jack? I have been considering trying one to use with my Raspberry Pi.

Right now I am using it with USB flash drives, and a friend is donating 256G USB hard drive, but if I got it on my network I think I could stream from my dedicated laptop music player.

I have the previous generation to the Netgear Orbi - I use it for the NAS and get great performance: the EX7300 - AC2200 Nighthawk X4 WiFi Range Extender

Ted, I was thinking about one of these:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122616&ignorebbr=1&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC--pla--Range+Extenders-_-N82E16833122616&gclid=CjwKEAjwm7jKBRDE2_H_t8DVxzISJACwS9WbUJhq21jRg2TL5NyEfnNonNQP_OILX5P5WNdAOMb47xoCMiXw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-universal-wi-fi-range-extender-with-ethernet-port-white/2733324.p?skuId=2733324

I suspect it would be reliable within the appropriate distance and adequate for speed, etc. if your router (or WiFi adapter if you go direct) is reasonably good quality.

OK guys. If you want to WiFi link your DirectStream to the LAN just hop on eBay and buy a used Pakedge W6 access point. Maybe cost you $25, maybe cheaper. It has several operational modes, including client bridge mode. If it’s on firmware v1.11 it is suitable for the intended purpose here. If you buy one and it’s not on v1.11 just drop me a PM and I’ll help you out to get it upgraded for free.