Windom: Sound Impressions

Red is no internet connection and green is good. Sometimes if their is a quick interruption the light may not recycle for a while…

Cool, glad it’s back up and running. Dawkins is exactly right. When it’s red it indicates there isn’t a network connection. Usually it won’t play. A hiccup in the connection can cause this but a reset of power is the fix.

One thing to consider is to stay on DHCP, but note the MAC address of your device.
Then you go into your router IP table and associate this MAC address with the IP address you want the device to receive on a permanent basis. Your router will act as a DHCP server and provide the same address to your device every time, making the connection more robust. This can be used as an alternative to a static IP address.

2 Likes

It is really strange indeed to play Tidal with mconnect with the Bridge II DS network icon red. To fix this I have always to reboot my router.

I realize that we are maybe approaching the time for a new release and this topic might be moot to most but here goes, anyway.

Further preface is that I like Windom a great deal.

For whatever reason, most likely boredom, I decided to reload Snowmass 3.0.0 last night and have gotten down to listen to it this morning. This spurred a search in the archive for comments on 3.0.0 and the first one I came to was by yacheah. All I can say is that what he wrote is matching what I’m hearing in terms of resolution and bass (Windom gets the nod) but for sheer musicality it’s 3.0.0 and his Conrad Johnson analogy is spot on and I’ve owned CJ equipment for over 25 years.

Just sharing and just my 2¢ naturally.

A safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all.

2 Likes

Yup - that is basically why I’ve stayed with Snowmass on both Sr. And Jr. I get that aspects of Windom have appeal, and that those can be seen as improvements in an absolute sense. But Snowmass - which only when viewed in comparison to these aspects, was for the first time seen as “lacking” something - still seems to me to be overall more right, relaxed and musical.

4 Likes

I’ve done that experiment too and Snowmass is pretty darned good. But I keep coming back to Windom. Snowmass seems just a tad veiled in comparison and I crave the honesty of Windom once I struggled to integrate that into the system. And I did struggle.

It’s wonderful we have these choices and options and another on the horizon.

2 Likes

One man’s/system’s “a tad veiled” is another’s “flatter response” :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Nope. :wink: I honestly think Windom is the flatter–Snowmass is too buxom.

I Like. Big. Bux. An’ I cannot lie…:cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

I somehow don’t think that Ted’s noise reduction efforts result in a more of less flat response. May @tedsmith could comment on that.

I’ve got no problem if people prefer one release to another. Low levels of noise can interact with people’s ears and systems in non-obvious ways. There’s the expected: low levels of noise in a given frequency band can obscure details in that band. But (in slightly different circumstances) it can enhance details in that band (like dither.) Another example: “One man’s full may be another man’s bloated.”… I know that Windom definitely has a little less distortion, a slightly better phase response across the spectrum and a little more detail apparent than Snowmass, but that doesn’t mean it sounds best to everyone.

8 Likes

I get all of that. Did you do anything in Windom that would change the measured frequency response of the DAC compared to Snowmass? Did you measure the frequency response of either release?

Seems that in the absence of a new release the audiophiles have resorted to debating the previous ones. :grin:

Discuss amongst yourselves: What peak should the next one be named after?

1 Like

There’s nothing that touches the frequency response until somewhere after 80 or so kHz. I check it periodically if I touch the filtering. Unlike most DACs that use a filter based on using, say the Remez exchange algorithm, the filters in the DS have a flat monotonic (only falling) response from 0 to their cutoff. I usually have the 0.01dB fall off point very near the Nyquist rate, so things are very flat across the audio band. I definitely have changed the phase response below a few Hz in some releases. Most of the theoretical changes in noise happen way below -130 or -140 dBFS, but lowering noise and or jitter can have audible effects even if they don’t show up in a typical noise floor, frequency response, etc. test. JA at Stereophile has repeatedly noted that he can measure no change between two releases, but that he can clearly hear a change in the noise floor.

7 Likes

Ted, so the considerable perceived frequency response differences n bass, treble, mids of various DAC’s which all measure flat, come from side effects altering phase response or noise differences Iinfluencimg that etc.?

Mine came loaded with Windom and I just can’t be bothered to go back and try older versions. I am a Lazy Audiophile (no more Vinyl for me either). Since getting the DSSr. back in early January, I’ve made several noticeable (to me anyways…LOL) improvements all based around the DSSr. which is the as I like to refer to it as “Ted’s lean mean remastering machine”. In that my PCM stuff has never sounded better and DSD just blows away everything else (and that includes Vinyl - IMHO).

2 Likes

I’m not so sure that most DACs measure flat this flat since many, if not most, use optimization algorithms to get as flat a response as they can get but with certain restrictions. E.g. that they want minimal phase filters, that they only have X multiplies, that their coefficients can only have Y bits, or they want to also keep the stop band flatter than Z… These algorithms, at best, have (very small) ripples in their frequency responses.
Still phase response can make a huge difference on transients. Non-linearitites, distortion, jitter, nonwhite noise, etc. all make outsized differences as well.

1 Like

@tedsmith so what does the new update sound like to your ears and in your system?

It would be great if we could get the detail of Windom with the fullness and musical flow of Snowmass.

1 Like

I’m not listening to it the moment. It’s sort of ripped apart right now. I don’t worry about how it sounds until the code is in good shape.

2 Likes