Your drink of choice

Any of you tony wine lads have any experience with this? Scored a couple of bottles at a good price. I suppose I’m wondering if I’m wasting it if I open it now, or should lay it down for a decade or so - were I actually feeling optimistic about my long-term longevity.

Though I used to do Big Costly Cabs a lot Back in the Day, either my palate and/or the styles changed over the decades toward the Fruit Bomb. They often left me cold and regretting having dropped a big chunk of change, despite the breathless raves (hmmm…like audio gear, much?). Over time I’d shifted to higher value, nice terroir and balanced acidity French and Italian reds.

The guy at the local bodega who got a few (lovely wooden, preciously wrapped, six-bottle) crates of this promises that Fruit Bomb it ain’t. Despite some freak descriptors like “underbrush accents”. And Suckling’s dubious 100pt. Rating😝

The owner said he’s had a number of vintages, though not this one, and it indeed tends to be Good Stuff. But he could relate from firsthand experience - that a bottle from this lot got dropped…and it smelled Wonderful😭

Brought to mind this old print ad:

“lay it down for a decade”??? You could get eaten by an ill tempered llama tomorrow. Crack it open.

Oh, for sure. I bought the '95 Chateau Montelena as a future back in the day, and ended up wishing I’d bought many cases. Went through what I’d bought prior to the Century’s End, opening one every 6 months or so - and by the end of it, it was Literally Just Starting to Open up. Nonetheless each bottle was entirely enjoyable. Learned a lot about how stuff ages in the bottle.

I have a few wine storage units and my problem has been drinking what I own. I just don’t have ability to consume much. That said, good wines and not expensive ones, that were lost in the units are resurfacing and some are up to 20 years old and yes, they taste different and mostly better. I’m not a lover of “fruit” time cures these of that attribute.

I need to start digging in the bottom of the wine cellar because I’m sure there some bottles that need to be consumed. I have been guilty of drinking bottles after their prime.

WhistlePig Pavilion
Spruce Peak village
Stowe, Vermont
June 19, 2021

@amsco15: Boss Hog VII is on the menu (@ $145 a shot!).

6 Likes

I’m jealous! My favorite booze ever. I loved Boss Hog (The Black Prince IV) so much I kept the bottle. The hog top is heavy and really cool.

1 Like

OK, so - not like my kids are going to send me a bottle, so - after chatting with them, @RonP, I cracked one of the Don Melchors.

Ooof! The Shizz. Really. Very Nice Stuff.

Worth North of a hunnert’…ehhhh🤷🏻‍♂️ Who knows. Check your bank account.

But at $69.99…works for me. Just now wishing I could have gotten a case at that price. But - two bottle limit😭

And - admittedly - I may be seriously wasting it at this point, despite it’s…mmmm. Advanced Lip Smacking thang.

I have no doubt from prior experience of Futures that this will be crazy magical if laid down properly for a decade. Or maybe even a half. Yeah - would kinda say that if you bought a case of this now and laid it down, you should crack it open from time to time to see how it is doing, as this is crazy good at 3 (bottle) years old.

But it is unusual in my experience that something this young be this soft, subtle, complex and good.

Lovely!.

Diner is Garganelli with Vodka sauce and Veal Scallopini and wedge salads all around

This is my accompaniment

2 Likes

uhkay, so, all the guys got together tonight and had dinner at basilico. everyone brought wine except lonnie, who brought 43, which is way too eezee to drink.
So eveeerone is invited to my house to listen to my hyfy. I’m yoozooly a jazz fan but toonite I’m into the Doors.
I really shouldn’t drink 43
43 bad.

2 Likes

43 is character building.

R.I.P George Stranahan

Also posted this link in the the “What Are You Spinning” thread due to a sidebar conversation, but is more suitable for consumption here.

George Stranahan (founder of Stranahan’s Colorado Whiskey) passed away last month.

A friend from Toledo, OH forwarded this to me. Champion Spark Plug (founded by George’s grandfather) was a mainstay Toledo business, and the Stranahan’s were among the prominent families. The attached obit is a story of a life well-lived.

http://eblade.toledoblade.com//.pf/showstory/20210621092/1

6 Likes

No Stranahan’s on hand, so this will have to suffice for the evening.

3 Likes

Good stuff, love the rye after dinner!

Shout out to @amsco15.

6 Likes

Heaven in a bottle.

3 Likes

Been there numerous times… just across the boarder in VT

1 Like

I normally don’t have an urge to go past a tall pour. However my daughter and I polished it off. Great Cali Cab if you can find it:

1 Like

This time of year my favorite drink of choice is watermelon juice. As good as eating watermelon tastes, juicing the whole melon, rind and all, is out of this world.

1 Like