Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

The Statement is in place!

I confess to be a little under pressure, I’m feeling the urgency to unbox the MK II, this is the reason why I’m reporting here below my first thoughts on the Statement less than 250 hours since I introduced it in the chain. I know that this “creature” needs a long burning in process and even after 3 months can provide a final step up. Sorry I’m not so patient!

As usual I prefer describing what I’m able to perceive by numbers more than by words.

The main comparison is between

BEFORE = PhoenixNET > ZENith MK 3 > PhoenixUSB > DS MK I

and

NOW = PhoenixNET > Statement > DS MK I

• First (1) I went through the Matrix via I2S (Input #1) where I found the major improvements.
  • Secondly (2) I tried without the Matrix, directly connected via USB, where the improvements IME are subtle.

In both cases “+” stays for more or less improvements than Before, “=“ is for same as Before and “-“ is intuitively for more or less degradation than Before.

Statement 1 (I2S) 2 (USB)
White noise/Hum + =
Background +++ ++
Neutralness ++ =
Image precision + =
Soundstage depth = =
Soundstage width + =
Separation ++ =
Voice + =
Highs = =
Basses = =
Presence +++ +
Transient = =
Clarity + =
Airy ++ =
Detail + -1
Unveil ++ =
Realism +++ +
Calm ++ =
Control +++ +
Engagement +++ +
1,55 0,25

As you can see from the final score the I2S is still a better choice IMO to achieve substantial improvements.

My system is shown on profile member, cables used are AQ Diamond USB and PinkFaun USB (all at once the Matrix didn’t like the PF so I continued only with the AQ) + AQ Dragon 48 HDMI. No fuses or tweaks added on the Statement, to create the better scenario to compare similarly the system Now vs Before.

• Last but not least: what about PST vs Statement?

To answer @dchang05 question let me say that it’s really hard now finding any difference between PST playing SACD vs Statement playing DSD files (and I have only DSD64 so I’m curious to try 128 or 256 if I find some Dire Straits album at this rate).
Wait wait, I can say more… I heard very very subtle differences also playing files from Qobuz vs ripped ones and this is the most impressive surprise I got frankly! Wow, really wow!
I can play any sort of music from the Statement without audible differences from Qobuz or files stored on the hard disk. I’m using only Sense App and the only way to still declare a superiority of PST is comparing SACD vs NON hi-res files, otherwise they sound almost identical.

To summarize and finding the main characteristics to share with you:

• sonically the black background is really impressive and able to radically change the sound
  • without any technical or audiophile words (I’m not qualified to use anyhow) the realism and the engagement that the Statement is able to bring is jaw dropping! I find myself crying literally, it means teardrops not figurative, more than one time. The ability to enter in deep contact with music and rising emotions from my soul is maybe the most important thing I want to report to better describe the Statement and this particular quality is the confirmation I spent well my money. Always IMHO.

Since tomorrow… or the day after… let’s go unboxing the MK II, can’t wait!

17 Likes