Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

I remember my child hood and being on my Grandparents farm. My youngest uncle had colored speckled bunnies. He let them loose. 20 years later dear hunting on the farm My Dad now owns. I flushed out a wild bunny with the same speckled hind quarters. Funny how the gene pool works.

2 Likes

Back to the upgrade thread I just received a new network cable from @watchdog507.
Very well built. Excellent fit and finish.I put it between the switch and streamer as instructed. I would show a picture but it went right into the system after opening the package and isn’t coming back out for show and tell. :+1:
Highly recommended.

4 Likes

Power distribution blocks Lego style.
For my subwoofers

12 Likes

Very nice.

Is the inlet an IEC or is it hardwired?

IEC.
It’s a kit from Parts Connexion.
You can buy pre-built or DIY. I needed something to do for fun.

4 Likes

The results of the upgrade from P5 to P20. Both charts are using the same wall outlet and power cable.
P5

P20

Now to get a dedicated 20 amp line for the P20.

5 Likes

wow, pretty dramatic… but all below 0.5% with both units. Can you hear a difference?

1 Like

Impressive, but I wonder what a power quality analyzer would show as that in the Power Plants will just provide a rough idea of what is going on.

Fluke Power Quality Analyzer

Nailed it with the key question, what differences are observed?

I heard a dramatic difference. Much blacker background and deeper soundstage. It was already quite wide.

I know the power plants provide a rough idea of what’s going on but I thought a comparison given the same outlet and power cable would be informative.

5 Likes

Nice summary of the audible differences, seem you can hear more into the performance with a lower noise floor and delineation of detail. Wish I still had access to that Fluke power analyzer as it is capable of showing the differences in greater detail for the techno-boobs of us out there.

1 Like

I’m finally ready to upgrade from the IKEA bench and cutting boards and ordering TimberNation stands for components and turntable.

So from this…

To this…

19 Likes

Here is my Ghent Audio power cable to go from my power supply to the @jkrichards power supply board on my DSD. It looks and works great!

9 Likes

Canare 4S6 quad star is a very good DC cable! I have used it with positive results!

2 Likes

Have been thinking about a RCA switch box for multiple phono stages and multiple turntables. Poor taste? I know Decware makes one so should have that before 2030 if I order today. Ha!

I am in super big trouble. My audio guru George spent an hour and a half on a zoom call with the head so sales of Gryphon. Turns out the two Legato Phono Preamp boards in my Pandora Preamp will go into the new Commander Preamp. The power supply of the Commander Preamp will power the Legato circuit boards better than the power supply for the Pandora. The Commander is supposedly a MAJOR step up from my Pandora. And of course the 450 pound Apex Stereo amp is also a major step up from my Antileon EVO.
The worst news is the Gryphon Ethos Transport DAC is also a major step up from my Kalliope DAC. Plus it is a CD (no SACD) Transport that is in the same Sonic class as the MBL 1621A. Sadness.

Gryphon welcomes us to come visit and see and hear everything and tour the factory. They have an upgrade program that offers to take all my current gear in in exchange for the new gear. Crap.

So perhaps the starter system that I am listening to now can be upgraded to the new Preamp, Amp, and Ethos Transport DAC for a little under $250k. Sadly no new cables are required.

It’s all bad news.

Right now I am enjoying the hell out of a vinyl copy of “Studio Tan” from that pesky Frank Zappa. It could sound better than this? Does it need to? I don’t know. I don’t imagine I’ll be able to resist.

It amuses me that people are all worked up about the price of the new PS Audio speakers. Really?

10 Likes

Al, Al, Al. I sense the possibility of a scolding coming up. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

I just want to be kewl like all the rest of you!!!

2 Likes

You are the Crowned Prince of Stereotown.

You might also have to bump up the incoming power panel to 400 or 600 amps. And maybe more air conditioning.:grin:

2 Likes

Al, for your $250k maybe you could schedule the performers to play in your space!
Good luck on your journey.

4 Likes