Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Envious here!

1 Like

So I’ve had the Oceanic Statement feeding both a P-12 and a Torus AVR2 and the results were not great in this spot. Very smooth with detail but it seemed to compress things a bit and while the soundstage didn’t fully collapse, it did lose both width and depth and to my surprise I lost a little bottom end focus as well

We are talking very small differences but enough negative ones that it’s clear this is not this cables best position, in my system anyway. Again, things were smooth as silk and transparent. On the advice of the guy who built the cable via the seller, I moved it to my line stage and boom…now hearing very good things. Open and transparent, all the detail with just a tiny bit of the smoothness I, sound stage is back, big and bold as ever. This cord is performing really, really well feeding the preamp

So, a mixed bag and interesting how well it performs in one location as opposed to another. These cables are not designated HC or source. Very satisfied and will not be looking to change my preamp cord anytime soon

Best.
-JP

2 Likes

That thing called Synergy

So @aangen picked up the MBL 6010d preamp for me from our friends at Kyiomi in Chicago a couple of weeks ago. The 6010d design is at least 15 years old, isn’t fully balanced, and has some other design idiosyncrasies. I am sure there are better preamps out there with better design’s. Not sure that there are many preamps that make the 9011 beasts sound so good. I feel very fortunate.

19 Likes

Also playing around with the number of power/gain switches to use on the MBL 9011. The basic position is one switch for 8ohm loads, 2 for 4ohm, and 3 for 2ohm. I am leaning towards 2 for the MBL 101s in my room.

13 Likes

Beautiful kit.

It is arguably different, but I have lusted after the MBL 6010d for quite a while.

It is a “standout” piece of kit in every sense of the word.

Looking forward to your listening impressions the experience with the pre-amp…

4 Likes

[https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisaha5f-atc-scm-40-full-range]

Man do these make my trigger finger itch!

Delete if not okay. I actually don’t know any better. Sorry.

3 Likes

Totally agree on this one. I have owed ATC’s and have heard many of them in recording studios. The 40 is the sweet spot for me with that huge hand-built soft dome midrange. Easy to build a respectable system around this beauty.

3 Likes

Those seem like a bargain if you only used them for fronts on a 5.1 TV setup. I would pick them up but I am out of speaker storage allotment for the time being.

1 Like

As am I. And that is exactly the purpose I have in mind for them.
Sadly today I learned a good friend was struck and killed while walking his dog. I don’t know the details. But his widow is in all sorts of hurt financially so today I contributed a healthy chunk of change to her fund.
If I were to have another pair of speakers delivered to my house something evil would likely happen to me. It’s for my own good I avoid these.

19 Likes

So sad to hear about your friend and glad you can help the family out.
It’s another reason not to wait 28 months for the “might be” holy grail.

1 Like

We should get a beer one of these days. Non-alcoholic just fine.

2 Likes

NA would be fine with me. I quit drinking almost 40 years ago. I tried for years to perfect the habit but never did get very good at it.
Now days I am spending more time going to doctors and funerals than parties and weddings.

1 Like

I couldn’t tell you the month I last had a beer.

2 Likes

Condolences for your loss and his spouse and family. Hopefully the motorist was insured and yor friends widow gets some short term stability in a settlement. No price can make up for her loss.

I drive by a makeshift memorial every time I visit the our horse ranch where the same type accident happened. That was a hit and run. After nine months they tracked down the uninsured motorist and are now prosecuting. Regardless the pain for both families must be awful. It is a vivid reminder to live for today but also plan for those you leave behind.

2 Likes

Noble gesture Al… :+1:

Best wishes

2 Likes

Condolences going out to you and his family, I’m so sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Truly a good friend. Sorry for your loss.

1 Like

Steal 'em before some one else does or I purchase them to add to the “Museum”. A fine speaker wen partnered with the right amplification, a Diablo 300 could do nicely on a budget.

1 Like

Sorry to learn of your loss. Your generosity is most notable.

2 Likes

The loss of a spouse is a very tough thing. Condolences, and a thumbs up to you for your kindness and generosity. You’re one of the good ones, Al. :+1:

4 Likes