Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

@Vmax on day two of recovery, unable to tweak a tuning ring.

Screaming Shouting GIF - Screaming Scream Shouting GIFs

6 Likes

I am hoping that 3rd M-1 fuse does bdo any changes after 125 hours whch will be Thursday. Otherwise could bery well be the case.

I feel I am getting closer to cyborg with each surgery. I just hope this metal doesn’t start picking up digital FM bands and I start tuning in radio stations adding to the noise floor.

Blue it is. Thanks!

It’s titanium so no worries. :grin:

2 Likes

I just put Dragon Source in the streamer chain. Oh Man! I know you like Whisper, but I do not think it can slay Dragon, at least not in my system.

I will listen more and will post more after PST comparison.

I didn’t realize that takes care of magnetic fields. The two plates separated by plastic insulator might make a good filter capacitor shielding out the RF, if I am lucky.

1 Like

Do not try 3M sheet on your leg just yet.

2 Likes

Well the whisper lacks Duncan’s latest improvements for RF. Maybe we send it back to you after he does his magic. Did you give Dragon a tuning ring yet? I know the Elite Whisper vs Dragon is not a fair fight until the Dragon gets the ring.

Not yet putting the ring on, these two PC sounds quite different in my system. I will put Whisper back on again after a couple of hours to confirm what I heard so far. PST will be tonight. It should reveal more.

2 Likes

Wishing you the best! :bouquet:

2 Likes

Latest additions are two fuses from QSA. A Yellow for my power strip and a Violet for my Innuos streamer. They replace a Light Blue and Yellow respectively. The Violet is worth the extra cost over the Yellow in my system, absolutely.

I bought a Townshend Fra tap F1 interconnect a few weeks back and was so impressed I bought the matching speaker cable the next day. It’s been shipped and will be here next week Thursday.

And finally, an AudioQuest Diamond USB between Zen MK3 and TT2 raised the game considerably. The Diamond and Townshend cables replace a complete loom of Cardas Clear and I’m very, very happy.

3 Likes

My Sound Smith Hyperion MKII came today! First I want to thank @minnesotafats and @aangen for the recommendation, this is one heck of a cartridge! It makes my Benz LPS MR sound old and crippled, which it is. The resolution you really have to hear to believe. The enormous sound field and the rich density of images are breathtaking! Time to dig into my LP collection again.

13 Likes

Congratulations!!! I have long desired a Hyperion!
Can we have more pictures of your turntable please?

Reading the latest issue of the Absolute Sound I think I need to try the "affordable’ DS Audio DS003 Optical Cartridge and matching Phono Preamp. Only $6k!

3 Likes

I am listening to my turntable now and Wow! Not even broken in yet, and unbelievable live dynamics, such that I have not heard before! Al, I thought you and Fats had this cartridge.

6 Likes

@aangen has a key to my place so he kinda does have this cartridge :slight_smile: I have been following Peter Ledermanns recommend blue tak cleaning procedure. Funny that a $8k cartridge can be cleaned with $3.25 blue tak. Enjoy the music and the 10 years of warranty coverage along with a lifetime of rebuilding/retipping the cart for $850. Arguably the highest long term value high end cartridge out there.

8 Likes

Fats has it, I had another, lesser Soundsmith. I jumped over the Hyperion and got a My Sonic Lab Signature Platinum. It’s another step up.

Nice looking TT!!! Enjoy!

4 Likes

I have the less expensive Sussorro on my VPI tt.
It’s wonderful, especially in the midrange. Voices and cello are startlingly real.
And Peter Lederman is a hoot.

3 Likes

Sigh. I guess it’s time to switch out my LPS for my Sussuro MkII… or maybe for my Paua MkII ES… or maybe…

I have way too many cartridges. :joy:

My copy of AnalogMagik v2 should be arriving today. Maybe after I get a handle on its new features I’ll pop another cart in.

3 Likes

At the recent Pacific Audio Fest Dr Vinyl was really big on DS Audio. Said that his customers, 25 of 26 so far, agree that it is great. He also is a proponent of Analog Magik, the Smart Tractor, and the UNI DIN alignment.

1 Like