Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

I’m gonna take it in to a tech

I just don’t trust myself

4 Likes

Same thing happened to me. The binding posts on some of my other stuff allow the “nut” section to come off from the outside and it seems like the higher end binding posts do not and if you keep going the nut gets loose or falls off on the inside of the panel.

1 Like

Probably a safe thing to do if you are worried about taking the bonnet off.

I don’t think a new Luxman would sound this good.

So getting some nuts tightened isn’t so bad

The side panel ratting is a bit odd

3 Likes

Nick is always ready to get everyone the best deals!

1 Like

These Gershman speakers have an unbelievable deep bass reach. Their tricks with the design are really neat and give better feel than a lot of big boxes do. I am not going to need subs in this room.

1 Like

Exactly. The inside nut is much smaller than the larger nut on the outside, so when greater torque is applied to the larger nut to secure the spades the smaller nut invariably slackens off when the larger nut is undone. Same as you I’ve encountered the problem with a pair of speakers.

3 Likes

REL S510 onboard for delivery today. :crossed_fingers:

7 Likes

Ouch! :dizzy_face: :rofl:

1 Like

Al is not exaggerating! The Ethos CD player/DAC combo extracts so much information out of CD’s I don’t think the inventor of the compact disc ever thought CD’s could sound this good! I don’t think digital audio can get any better! Playing the CD layer on SACD’s easily best the SACD layer I have ever heard on any SACD player/transport! It is super expensive but for what it delivers I think it’s worth the price.

3 Likes

Long live the Compact Disk!

3 Likes

I have it plugged in and warming up.
The first thing I will play is George’s latest recording, on sale today for half price.
(50% off price shown)

Oh my goodness! Is this ever an amazing recording. I have trouble believing anyone can play that piece. But my audio guru can. Outstanding!

4 Likes

Sure the side panels won’t come loose again when retightened.

Getting mechanical parts tightened up is only a bad thing if you have to repeat doing it. Which is certainly a predictable scenario if you over torque the speaker terminals on spades.

Terminals are not well designed if the torque on the electrical connection is higher than the torque required to unlock the terminal from its base.

In our laboratories we assess and test electrical connections for certification of terminals. Over-torquing terminals causes material degradation which causes poor contacts that tend to degrade even more over time. Panels with screw type terminals require annual inspections with thermal imaging cameras as hot spots appeared over time due to degrading contacts. There is a reason that screw type terminals are replaced by spring loaded terminals in control and power distribution panels in the entire industry demanding the highest level of functional and safety integrity.

It is the reason I changed to bananas. Since then I have never had a loose speaker cable. Not even when moving the equipment or cables for housekeeping. Which happens on a(n) (i)regular basis.

Argento Audio terminals with Atlas Audio bananas on the Buchardt S400 Signature Edition. Atlas Hyper 3.5 mm2 (12 AWG) speaker cables.

4 Likes

I own 4 Osiris amplifiers…They are built to a very high standard. Never had any problems with loose binding posts and/or ‘heatsink protection plates’ rattling.
Rega don’t recommend using spades only use banana plugs.
The internal wires connected to the binding posts are soldered on so they will still be a sound connection, just the binding post fixture insecure.

I explained everything in graphic detail and I even attached photos on a PM.
It’s an easy repair. It’s only an amplifier not a nuclear reactor !!

7 Likes

That’s what they all say……

2 Likes

It is an easy repair.

2 Likes

The REGA equipment is beautiful, yet built like a tank, just easier to access the internals. So you don’t need to be shy opening the enclosure.

Important safety precautions:

• Before you open: switch off the main power switch of the unit while keeping the speakers connected
  • let it set for a couple of minutes (allowing internal charges to gently discharge, like capacitors)
  • then disconnect ALL cables
  • to avoid any unintended discharge to low voltage input stage (low risk, but better safe than sorry):
    If you do not have conductive mat and wristband to level out potentials: touch an earthed metallic part like radiator or a conductive enclosure part of another earthed equipment with one hand and a conductive earthed part (rim of XLR terminals) of enclosure of the Orisis with your other hand at the same time, now you and the Orisis have the same electrical potential,
  • open the unit
  • tighten any loose parts, as per Dirk’s instructions, never overtorque, it’s easy tight is tight, anything beyond is overtorque
  • close the unit

Then replace your spades with bananas and never look back and enjoy the music and your wonderful Orisis.

Or, put it in the Marketplace section as it is, sure it will sell well.

2 Likes

Rudolf, as you can see from the attached photos. All fixtures / tapered setscrews are large, strong and easily accessible.
The packaging is excellent. The wooden crate is ‘heavy duty’!
As you can see I own 4 Osiris amplifiers.

13 Likes

You are now my hero.
Damn!

4 Likes

Yes, just beautifully built.

Cliché: Sure you need that much vibration damping when having wall mount brackets anchored in a granite wall on Scottish soil? :wink:

Have you ever tried them with PMC transmission line speakers? Just curious.