Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

It’s interesting that streaming manufacturers are finally coming round to the fact that the size, quality and isolation of the power supply makes a difference.

3 Likes

Only one drive port. The bay is large. I’m assume maybe for non SSD drives?

1 Like

Nice to see the internal photos. Just be ware that Daryl might want you shield that long ribbon cable🙃.

4 Likes

There were some similar chipsets that I noticed on the board that reminded me of the Directstream MK1. Should I cut out the little squares and cover them? I still have the 3m RF tape! Lol

2 Likes

I am totally unshielded at the moment. This gives me a baseline to see what ever component might be acting up. So for now, I’m just basking in the additional radiation.

4 Likes

I once cut little bits of the magic 3M material and put it on items inside my Grimm, the results sounded awful. I removed them and sighed in relief when the fine sound returned.

6 Likes

Did you try the 3M magic bits with a $600 “magic fuse” of the month too?

1 Like

There is no $600 Magic Fuse on my to do list.

(But an $890 Chinese Streamer? Sure!)

4 Likes

I was pretty sure we agreed on that subject. I feel the same way about “magic” ethernet cables.

1 Like

Lumin U2 or a streamer with a fiber optic link to my switch will make all ethernet cables upstream indifferent, I believe.

1 Like

My Auralic Aries had external LPS back in 2014, Innuos used internal LPS from 2016, LUMIN had external LPS from early on. I had an external LPS for an AVA Media server/streamer I bought in 2012. That was used with a Linn Akurate DS streamer that I bought in 2010, which had a very goon Linn Dynamik SMPS.

High quantity power supplies have been a feature of audio streaming from the very beginning.

So I decide if I end up in a living situation with minimal space that this nearly all in one solution would be a good alternative to my reference setup.
Need to figure out a smallish pair of active speakers to attach to this when not using the headphones. https://warwickacoustics.com/headphones/collection/aperio/

Floor or stand mount?

Have you considered the B&W Formation?

1 Like

I loved mine, but only for watching movies on the big screen. My wife like them more because the formation bar/bass is close to the kitchen when she is cooking, and they look nice.

One thing is that the Formation bar alone is not enough, it is madatory to pair with the Formation Bass to produce adequate SQ.

1 Like

I was thinking about the Duo.

https://www.bowerswilkins.com/en-us/product/wireless-speakers/formation-duo

1 Like

My good friend Doug has the duos in his set up. He likes them a lot with Roon. The B&W software and support not so much.

Thier software is really :-1:

That makes much more sense!

1 Like

ATC makes powered speakers. I know someone who swears by them. He’s had several different models over the years and says he’ll never buy anything else.

1 Like