Your Next Upgrade?

Thank you for sharing your experience. I still use Nucleus as Roon core. I gave Bridge II a few weeks with Melco S100, and it sounds really nice. Will re-test DS Dac with Matrix and Nucleus+ with BridgeII removed. I would appreciate hearing your assessment (Aries vs Nucleus). Enjoy.

1 Like

I have a MRX520 and it’s been 100% perfect for years. The 520 passes Dolby Vision and HDR10 without issue. Why replace the 1120?

I was looking for the new codecs and I want eARC. I am hoping to use the Google TV built into the Sony XR65A90J vs using an nVideo Shield Pro, less little black boxes is one of my goals. Interestingly, when using a nVidia Shield Pro routed through the 1120, the Shield doesn’t recognize that the TV can receive HDR10. As soon as I fired up the 740 and chose the Shield input I received a pop-up telling me that HDR10 was now available and questioning if I wanted to enable it.

I only use Apple TV 4k through 520 for HDR. Good luck in your quest. The new codecs and protocols seem to take a long time to settle and be done right.

1 Like

Breaking in new speakers (Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 3). I had my wife sit down and listen to them. Her comment “Sohail and his new toy” as she rolled her eyes. Lolzz.

9 Likes

So my wife says “Do you REALLY need another set of speakers?” I just slowly nod my head yes. :grin:

11 Likes

So I am about to receive my end game turntable (Techdas 3 premium) in a few weeks. Made a leap and decided to upgrade from the Graham Phantom II arm that was supposed to be installed for an Acoustical Systems Axiom Arm. I believe my dealer of audio drugs has my long term interests in mind. Instead of spending more on a cartridge now he told me to keep using my Kisecki Purple Heart and allocate current dollars to the fancy and flexible arm. Anybody out there have experience with this beast?

4 Likes

Yes, more or less. I have the Aquilar 12” in Leica Silver. Reviewers slightly prefer each of them in different characteristics… they are very close and the developer says he knows just a few of the very best setups where differences are more clearly identifyable. The Aquilar is told to sound a little more favorable in bass, the Axiom little more refined, all depending on genre.

I had a very good arm in the 5k+ class already (Wheaton Triplanar) and I also heard a smaller Graham, the very good Kuzma 4 point and the Rigid Float (even if all not in a perfect 1:1 comparison), but they seemed to be not on that level and I can tell you the Acoustical Systems in a perfectly fair comparison to the Wheaton (which is not bad at all) on the exact same turntable setup was an otherworldly difference (ok, those AS arms are somewhere in the 10-24k class)…no comparison at all. I think those are the best arms available, also in adjustability.

I can only recommend to concentrate on the arm more than the cartridge.

3 Likes

Good to hear. Thank you for the feedback…

This may be one of my upcoming winter projects:

4 Likes

Unfortunately what I want for my next upgrade is not available yet. A simple device that I can remotely engage and disengage that will help me enjoy some of my favorite crappy Rock recordings like Ozzy Osbourne’s Diary of a Madman.

1 Like

Sounds good to me aangen!

1 Like

Do you have any EQ options? Try this simple dip. Adjust to taste, like spice or salt.

1 Like

This is all which is needed, the Gundry dip.

DIVORCE :joy:

Although this is presented for speakers, I think it applies to any “upgrade”.

4 Likes

Good advice.

1 Like

Number six reason to not buy new speakers: Buy Paul’s book, follow the book, enjoy!

5 Likes

Well, all this goes out the window when PS Audio speakers hit the market.

3 Likes

One other hint:
the main difference of their even more expensive arms is the even finer adjustment options which then are repeatable. You will need this when changing cartridges or adjustments repeatedly. If you adjust once and leave it like that, it’s not really that relevant.
Another thing is that there are options with also other parts than the arm tube and headshell bars out of titanium. This is relevant but will get you in the 25k range.

1 Like