Your Next Upgrade? (Part 1)

Wine is always within reach!

1 Like

I’m shopping for new speakers. In the past few weeks I’ve visited 3 dealers in Alberta (Canada) and listened closely to 7 models/brands. Two from Italy, one from France, etc. The best 2 were Canadian made! Only one appears to be better than my current speakers (DIY) at $18,500 Canuck bucks. I’ve been waiting for the FR-30 speakers and need to have options. I expect to get demos of a few more speakers such as Harbeth, Fyne, and Raidho. None of the demos have been “perfectly setup”. One pair was out of phase, another had R & L swapped, another had the speakers “floating” on carpet. Fortunately I was able to heard most of them using my favourite SACD disc. Lots of fun! And interesting!

I just received two matched quads of Tung-Sol KT150s for my Primaluna Dialogue Premium amps running mono replacing KT120s. They’re still running-in, but they are extremely impressive so far with startling dynamics, spaciousness and bass authority. While I generally preferred Ultralinear mode for the KT120s, I am so far leaning toward triode mode with the KT150s.

2 Likes

I tried your filter settings with a 2019 imac i5 six core/NAA.

It coughed and sputtered. Was worth a try though. :thinking:

I know the new M1 chip can do it but the Intel iMac probably throttles too early.

Stop and go basically. Play and quits. Then resumes.

It’s a pretty average imac desktop.

The screen shot shows my current filtering.

Try Ext2 instead of sinc-m. The EC modulators (try ASDM5EC instead of DSD5v2) are really where it’s at but they are heavy duty. Bump down to DSD128 to see if you can get 5EC to play.

The modulators require 1 or 2 core for each channel ~4.8Ghz or more. Looks like that proc tops out at 4.1GHz turbo and it probably doesn’t have sufficient cooling to sustain for long.

That said, just because it consumes more cpu/memory doesn’t automatically make it better.

You don’t need the headroom in Roon for just crossfeed. I would move crossfeed to HQP as well and let Roon just send the raw stream unaltered.

2 Likes

Are you using Poly sinc ext2 on both oversampling 1x and oversampling NX

Seems to work ok…

No, I’ve been using poly-sinc-gauss-xla for both most recently.

1 Like

I’ve just green lit my electrician’s plan to attempt to drop my home’s collective ground resistance down to less than 1 ohm by driving four 3/4’ 10’ rods in a 12ft square buried 18" in my front yard. It’ll be wired in a star formation and bonded via 4 gauge solid copper wire.

5 Likes

I think I have a problem. I eschewed vinyl for roughly 35 years until this spring when I decided to test out an entry level system, Pro-Ject Carbon Evo TT and Schitt Mani pre, and see if I wanted to get back into vinyl. Now I might be addict, which means upgrades. Just ordered a Channel Island PEQ-1 Phono Pre with separate power supply and a Shunyata Venom phono cable.

It doesn’t matter that the cable costs the same as the TT, does it?

3 Likes

Congrats on the CIA PEQ1. I have the same, including the upgraded power supply. I think it’s extremely good, especially for its price. I use it with an old VPI Scout with an Ortofon 2M Bronze (seen in my avatar).

I can’t answer your question on the cable - I use an old pair from the now-defunct LAT International that I think work just fine. I suspect you were being rhetorical anyway. :wink:

1 Like

DecWare Super Zen SE84UFO with anniversary mods, and new tube set from the mothership incoming. Scored one with no wait. Interesting times ahead as the most efficient speakers I currently own all range in the mid 80db for efficiency.

4 Likes

The cable comment was meant as a bit of audiophile humor! :grinning:

2 Likes

We need @aangen to comment on cable costs. I think he has set the bar.

He has not only set the bar, but has heavily embibed in the bar :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I remember being horrified being asked to consider spending $800 on a power cable. Absolute Madness I cried. Now it’s like five figures, sure, what the heck. Madness.

4 Likes

Just returned from the local high-end tech’s workshop with my DirectStream Dac- which is now sporting a pair of upgraded Edcor XS4400 output transformers. The new transformers certainly dwarf the old ones! I guess I’ll have to leave a CD on repeat in the Jay’s Audio transport for several days to expedite the break-in process.

2 Likes

Or he may be at the :beer: bar.

4 Likes

Searching for help here, but hope I am not hijacking any topics. For the next potential upgrade, I am looking into converting my old 2 channel into multiple channel system. I moved my old system (Mytek-PSA700-Magnepan 3.7-RELS812) to my bedroom for YouTube, Netflix, and computer audio. I added a Marantz AV7706 preamp/processor for multiple HDMI inputs. Since then I was thinking of trying a multiple-channel system. However, I would like to keep the room clean with fewer speaker wires. I used the REL Airship for connecting S812 wirelessly. I was wondering are there any active and wireless surround speakers (or transmitter, or systems) that are cable of receiving the transmitting singles from my PreAmp ( through RCA Line Out). Basically, it would be perfect for me as connecting REL using PreAmp’s Sub Line Out to Airship Line In, then transmit signal wirelessly to Sub. Thank you so much for your help.