I grew up in Belgium with a lot of great music in the 60s 70s. After graduating family and career took over and there seemed to be little time for music. Until a couple of years ago, when I found the amp I was using in 1973 : the Technics SU3400 (https://audio-database.com/TechnicsPanasonic/amp/su-3400-e.html). It still works and sounds great.
This brought back great memories and was the spark to start my quest to setup a great system for quality music streaming. After hours and hours of researching online, reading reviews and watching on YouTube, going to dealers for first hand testing different components and configurations, and even buying/testing/selling gear, I am almost there with my modern setup. I now spend more time listening than testing new gear.
So this is my rig:
- Sources: Mac Mini (2011 model upgraded to 8GB RAM and 1TB SSD)
running ROON core. Moderate catalog (±500) ripped CDs + TIDAL subscription
- Streamer: Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra ()
- DACs: PSA SGCD + Audioquest Dragonfly Red (headphone on computer) + iBasso DC02 (with Google Pixel2 phone)
- AMP: PSA S300
- SPEAKERS: FOCAL Aria 926 speakers (https://www.focal.com/en/home-audio/high-fidelity-speakers/aria-900/floorstanding-speakers/aria-926) and Wharfedale Linton Heritage (https://www.wharfedale.co.uk/linton/). The Wharfedales are new and I have not decided yet. The Arias are great but not to my taste.
- Headphones: I bought all my headphones from MassDrop. Sennheiser HD6xx / Meze Classic 99 Noir / HifiMan HE4xx
- I use audiophile quality (middle of the road) interconnects, power cables, and linear power supplies.
Gear I have owned:
- Streamer: ALLO Digi One Ultra
- DACs: Cambridge Audio Dac Magic 100 / Mytek Brooklyn (1st gen) + SBooster PSU
- AMPs: Technics SU-3400 / NAD C316 BEE V2
- SPEAKERS: FOCAL Chorus 705 standmount / FOCAL Chorus subwoofer
Equipment I have auditioned/tested:
- Streamer: Bluesound Node 2i
- Speakers: KLIPSCH - RP 6000M / Harbeth - C7-ES-3 / SPENDOR - Classic 2/3 / GRAHAM Audio - Chartwel LS6f / WHARFEDALE - Linton Heritage.