100 hour burn-in (actually 500 hours for DS DAC)

For what it’s worth, I pulled mine out of the box, turned it on, left it on, played music through it 24/7 and never gave it a moments thought beyond that. I feel as though the process happened and I am just fine not thinking about it at all.

It’s not a big deal IMHO.

4 Likes

I would add that I have both a DSsr and a DSjr in two different systems. Neither one ever sounded “bad” as some would suggest but they both sounded “better” after several hundred hours of play.
Yes you can use a Roon radio station and change it as often as you like.
I left the system volume low enough to not be disturbing and ran them 24/7 for 4 weeks or so.
One system has BHK preamp and M700’s. One has BHK preamp and D&D 8c active speakers. Both systems are on 27/7 except the preamp is on standby to keep the tubes off but everything else on. FWIW

What kit did you buy to get that extra three hours in each day? :wink:

I’ll take out a loan to make that purchase! I sure could use some extra hours each week.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Never was very good at math :frowning_face:

3 Likes

Neither am I…and I did not intend to be a typo-Nazi…

Just joshing ya…as we say at my house.

2 Likes

It was taken well. I have a fairly thick skin and a really thick skull. :grinning:

5 Likes

When I broke in my Martin Logan Dynamo X1100 subs, I played a 5Hz signal into them at fairly high levels. I couldn’t hear that frequency, but could feel it, and clearly see the subs churning away with vigor.

A technique I learned many years ago to speed speaker break-in, place them face-to-face and feed an out of phase broadband mono signal. The sound will cancel, anything you hear is differences in matching.

A note, be careful with anything outside of the audible range to avoid inadvertent over driving and potential damage.

1 Like

T A R D I S Pre

1 Like

I always wondered who is this “Josh” ? Must have been a bucket of laughs.

1 Like

As one of the original beta testers of the DS :smiley:, IME the burn in time for “it doesn’t change much past this point” was about 500 hours, as Ted indicated. Of course YMMV.

It’s just not true :slight_smile:

Just had a thought about burn in. Here are 2 cases that make me scratch my head: precision guided weapons and space vehicles. Both require very high precision so it follows that all electronics should be stable and operating as designed. Yet I’ve never heard of NASA for example burning in its electronics. Why is that?

You weren’t paying close enough attention.

Care to enlighten me?

I wasn’t paying close attention either. It doesn’t mean burn in isn’t something they did. I am curious as to why you are even asking this question. If you choose to not believe in burn in, you are in a large group. If you wish to cure those who believe in burn in, the “I did not here NASA talk about it” argument may not be up to the task.

When someone first told me Ethernet cables and power cables burn in, I did not want to believe. I still don’t. But my foolish ears and silly brain believe otherwise.

Have fun!

I neither believe nor disbelieve. I’m simply gathering knowledge. I brought up the military and NASA examples because I would have thought if they did burn in, after all these years, in one of these forums, someone who is for example a military contractor (of which there are many) would have mentioned it in one of the endless burn in topics.

Speaker break in is obvious - suspension loosens. Amp burn in makes sense - caps change value. But things like wire burn in are hard to swallow. Is the wire actually changing or are your ears getting used to the sound of a new component?

The differences during burnin are completely apparent if you have a non-burned in DS next to a burned in DS. Burn is often is an asymptotic process where components approach their designed parameters. Some quality resistors have specs about how long they take to reach their specified (very low) temperature coefficients, like 1000 hours. I’m not using resistors of that quality ($10’s of dollars each and (at the time I was designing the DS) not available in surface mount.) There are plenty of threads with more details.

2 Likes

I think all defense / space related electronic bits and pieces are seriously bench tested / burned in before being approved for use in the intended devices.

I would suggest for those who don’t believe in burn-in, that if after listening to your hifi for some extended time, let’s say a couple weeks or months, it starts to sound better to you, just consider it to be a happy accident. This is all about being happy.

2 Likes