A huge number of twists

I heard from an old professional, that so far he has come to prefer a type of cable, very rare and exclusive, not directly available to customers - one that is extremely fine-haired, very thin silver-plated copper “strings”, a great multitude of which is wound such that it’s like…
Consider 2 conductors twisted. Symmetrically. Same length conductors. Then 3… 4… This one is practically n twists. Then “pressed VERY tightly together” with a hard braid of (he didn’t know) kevlar or something.
Now, to me this sounds like a cable that approaches solid-core properties but with the “benefit” of being divided in a multitude of fine strings. Seems counter-intuitive… There’s “micro-arcing” and such necessarily between the conductor “hairs” right? What benefit is there? I guess despite inductance between the strings, proximity effect and such, would the signal still maintain flow within each string or would the signal be urged to consider it a whole, thick structure with the skin effect coming to play across the structure?
I’m intrigued, but doubtful. Then again, this speaker builder has been doing this for decades, I trust his observations. But how come this thpe of cable could be so good?

Sorry, no info or pictures. Not available, only what he’s told.

Sounds like you might be describing Litz wire. Some designs can consist of thousands of strands but in my experience, Litz wire cables are either solid copper or solid silver. Silver coating copper wire increases conductivity. I have litz copper (96 strand) speaker cables and litz silver interconnects (31 strand twisted pair). Both manufactured by Audio Note UK.

1 Like

He did say the strands are not individually insulated. That’s what makes me wonder why it could be so good.
Though maybe he’s wrong… Anyway how could dielectric fit in the bundle, it’s VERY tightly packed.
I mean how thin can you make the insulation? Nail polish? …

Might it be the strand interaction is minimized when they’re very close packed? “Semi-Solid” conductor, as AudioQuest puts it…