Active HDMI cables with Redmere

I have just ordered a Redmere active HDMI cable from Monoprice to use between PWT and DirectStream. Redmere uses integrated circuits mounted in the receiver-end connector and powered directly from the source device to boost and equalize the digital signals. Given the different pin configuration of I2S I wonder if the cables would work between PWT and DirectStream. Any first hand experience and advise will be much appreciated.

Welcome, mcduman!

I do not recall anyone here trying Redmere HDMI cables, but I have seen a number of times elsewhere that they did not work for I2S.

Given that the cable length between a PWT and DirectStream will be short - and they are designed to work with a standard HDMI cable - I would stick with a good quality HDMI.

thanks elk.

there is a growing number of active HDMI cables in the market with the advent of the HDMI 2.0; most of the 18gbps cables are active. they are powered by the 5v rail in the sink device. i have noticed the directstream has 5v in pin 18 in line with the HDMI specs; therefore I am betting that active cables may work. anyways, i will report back when I try one.

Some active cables may work fine, although I doubt there will be a benefit.

We need to keep in mind I2S has nothing in common with HDMI except that they use the same physical cable.

Please let us know if you experiment and what you conclude.

I can assure you that the Redmere cable does NOT work. I bought a couple specifically to use with the PWT with no success.

thanks izman. active cables are directional, but did you try both ways? it appears I ordered the wrong cables :-)

anyways, there are more and more active cables in the market to support the 4K resolution and HDMI 2.0. PS should make a point of warning buyers to go with passive cables only

Some active HDMI cables and repeaters may work.

Given the short run between a PWT and DS there is no need for an active cable. Keep ion mind, a standard HDMI is good for up to ~ 30 feet.

I do not expect PS Audio to test and advise on active cables. Not only is it unreasonable to expect the company to test them, they are entirely unnecessary.

mcduman said thanks izman. active cables are directional, but did you try both ways? it appears I ordered the wrong cables :-)

anyways, there are more and more active cables in the market to support the 4K resolution and HDMI 2.0. PS should make a point of warning buyers to go with passive cables only

Of course. They are directionally labeled, but since it didn’t work in the “correct” direction, I figured I should try it the opposite way. Neither way worked.

I wanted to try this cable specifically because of the technology involved in keeping the leading edges of the waveform “sharp”. I know it’s irrelevant to the short distance of the cable. I think this might be why I heard a difference between standard HDMI & the bonded pair Belden HDMI cable I got from Blue Jeans Cable Co. But we’ll never know for sure.

If I recall correctly, PS Audio recommends a maximum length for I2S cable of 3M. This is well below the maximum 30 ft for HDMI. This would lead me to believe there are differences in the signal and the effect of transmission loss that would question the use of powered cables with I2S, but PS Audio should come up with some recommendations. I wouldn’t expect this anytime soon as they have their hands full already and aren’t loooking for any new projects!

Keep in mind the 30 foot recommendation is from the HDMI consortium, optimistic at best. Manufactures recommend much shorter distances.