Anyone else order UpTone etherRegen? Percent improvement?

Gotcha…

Yup - I mean, think about it! Wondering why even the best pair of speakers in the world don’t make the same sound as a violin in the room? Sorta makes no sense.

It does seem rather silly to think any speaker will sound the same as a violin.

The instrument one would think we could capture is an electric guitar. It is already being played through a speaker. Yet record that speaker and play it back on the best system you have access to. It still does not sound the same to me, although it is close. Weird.

But if you can produce images of actors I can walk around, I might start watching movies. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also the live sound experience of electrified music through a PA is often a lot like a big stereo.

1 Like

Yep.

Oh my… :sun_with_face: Can you elaborate the changes you hear in your system? Very curious…

Not sure - I’ll have to check with the powers that be. Maybe tomorrow.

2 Likes

Night two of listening with the new clock thingy and again I am deeply moved by the sound I am hearing. Yikes.

1 Like

just a summary of what you need for proper streaming then (values are rough estimates)

• 1 x audiophile server, preferably with at least 3 linear power supplies for the clock, processor and Ethernet port, not to mention at least 7 voltage stabilizers (EUR 10.000)
  • 1 x high end Ethernet - fiber optic transducer (EUR 300)
  • 1 x linear power supply for the Ethernet - fiber optic transducer (EUR 300)
  • 1 x EtherRegen (EUR 1000)
  • 1 x linear power supply for the ether regen (EUR 400)
  • 1 x external clock (EUR 500)
  • 1 x linear power supply for the external clock (EUR 500)
  • 4 x high end AC Power chords for the server + 3 separate linear power supplies (total EUR 1000)
  • 3 x high end DC Power cables (total EUR 500)
  • 2 high end Ethernet cables (total EUR 600)
  • 1 high end 10 MHz clock cable (EUR 500)

Rough estimate: ~ EUR 16.000,-

That is just the beginning before the streamer which is considered the source of the stereo.

The ether net chain before the streamer has so many boxes and cables that it tops the most complex stereo I ever owned.

Does your streamer has USB output to the DAC, which requires a similar setup?

The message that the young folks get by reading this is that audio equipment sucks.

Or that vinyl is really pretty organic and uncomplicated. Nice big art, too.

Just add roughly 4K for a streamer - then it sounds about right :wink:

The thing about the young folks I don’t get. First, they are surely not around here. Second, it is like saying you need a Formular One car or Rolls Royce to drive from A to B… Still: A used VW Polo (aka e.g. a used Google Chromecast Audio for 30 bucks) can do the same.

What is it you want to say?

And: there are many TT-Setups that cost equal or lot more.

^^^
And vinyl can take a great deal of continual fussing in addition to cost and complexity.

Audio can be expensive and complicated. Or not.

So?

1 Like

Why is it a great stereo can sound like live music walking around or sitting in another room when the sound is not direct? But the illusion starts to fall away in the same room. The brain is not as easily fooled when one is getting the spatial cues directly in the same room. HT surround systems can be startling for gee whiz sounds that surprise or make the room spin or footsteps walking past you or crossing diagonally. Some two channel recordings offer up like surprises without even the surround speakers. Such as Roger Waters Amused to Death that provide horse drawn sleigh crossing between you and the speakers and then even turning and fading off behind you and over your right shoulder. The high speed race car pass. Sound and phasing trickery are a true art form so it seems.

The brain only needs a few bits of info then memory recognition fills in the missing pieces.

It does not, and cannot, in my experience. The difference between live music and its reproduction on even a fine system is profound, regardless of where the system is located.

If anyone is interested in how the EtherGen measures

cheers

I’m using it as a media converter now (I did initially use it in it’s more ordinary configuration). It’s the line side of a 75’ piece of fiber that goes to my opticalRendu. It’s likely overkill for the job but it works great.

I sorta disagree with that. Yes, rarely is one fooled into thinking a real musician is playing in the next room. But something LIKE that feeling or sound is something I’ve noticed in a number of situations, and it is something I look for.

I’ve noticed it often at gear shows - I’m attracted to rooms that sound good from the hall, leaving aside music choice and volume level. When something special in the reproduction is happening with my stereo, as it has been recently, I’ve noticed that it hangs together really well from another room, while if something is not right with it, that tends not to be the case. Bit more like disorganized noise.

I think it was famed engineer/mixmeister Elliot Scheiner who said it is a way of telling if your mixes are correct. Do they sound good from the next room?

2 Likes

This is how I’ve been using it since I got my SigRendu Optical many months ago but personally I still think it’s additive. Replacing with a regular switch with SFP ports does not give the same results in my system. Next step is to experiment with an external clock and grounding.

2 Likes

I can agree with “something LIKE that feeling or sound.” This is what makes audio compelling. There is just enough reality to get in touch with the music, even if it remains an obvious artifice. And for me, for some reason, sound itself is compelling on its own.

Rooms that sound good through the cacophony are always worth checking out.

Emotionally recalling my first DACsr install two years ago, turned it on, went upstairs for coffee. While walking down stairs I could hear Dylan’s Free Wheelin’ album, the sound felt like I was entering a small club.

2 Likes