EtherRegen basic setup questions

Have one of these coming this week to try out.

Have a couple basic questions.

My setup is pretty simple:

Router>connected Ethernet port in wall>Cat 8 cable > basic TP Link switch>Cat 8 cable> OPPO 105 network input> Coax out>PS Audio DS.

Everything works and plays fine- including DSD files via DoP.

Questions:

1. In adding an EtherRegen unit based upon what I can see from Uptone website I would replace the basic TP Link switch with the EtherRegen and put my cable from wall into one of A ports on EtherRegen and then a cable out from the B port on EtherRegen to the OPPO 105 network input correct?

2. I also have a Bridge II I have not installed in the PS Audio DS yet. I was going to use the basic TP Link switch and compare using the OPPO 105 vs the Bridge II method of streaming. But then I decided to get the EtherRegen.
    Is there a way to hook up both units with the EtherRegen? I don’t get why the EtherRegen has four A ports and only one B port out. Can it only be used with one DAC at a time?

Sorry if these are elementary questions.
Thanks.

The EtherRegen manual addresses the use of the A side ports in reverse. The user guide can help:

Their design assumes that only one quality connection on the B side.

1 Like

To your questions:

1. Yes, that’s correct.
  2. The famous isolation of the EtherRegen is between the A and B side. But it works in both directions. So you could connect both the Oppo and the Bridge II to the A side, and connect the ER to the Internet on the B side. (And you could then compare SQ with both connected vs. only one player connected - to hear if they “mess” with each other in any way).
    Does that help?
1 Like

Also the A ports are 1000 bits and the B port is 100 bits. The slower speed is supposed to add to the signal quality (less noise from speed)

Really? I don’t see that anywhere in the manual. 100 bits is INSANELY slow. I presume you mean Mbps. From the manual:

‘A’ Side
Flashing yellow = Gigabit link with network activity
Flashing green = 100Mbps link with network activity
Solid LED (yellow or green) = Link established but no network activity
‘B’ Side (100Mbps only)
Solid or Flashing green = Network activity
Solid yellow = Network link established (should stay on all the time
when a ‘B’-side connection is made)

I forgot to add the “M” but you know what I meant. The B port is slow only and meant to use the slower speed to help the signal quality.

One other detail - this is a HOT running device. I called and asked about the heat issue and was told not to worry.

2 Likes

Thanks to all for the replies.
Will run to one unit only time from B port and use one input for cable from my main router.

What are the 4 “A” ports for anyway?? Why would you plug stuff into them if there is only one unit that benefits from the full technology?

I don’t get their function. I am sure I am missing something obvious.

The A ports are just a standard switch that you can plug devices into. Only the B port is “hi-fi”

1 Like

So you could plug other devices into the A ports- it just does not get the isolation treatment.
Got it. Thanks.

1 Like

There are no clean or dirty ports (the only difference is 100/1000) and they work identically in both directions. See following information from UpTone, the crux is in the word ’ALONE’ (one dac-attached ethernet endpoint at a time for optimal results, theoretically two or more endpoints attached to A could influence each other negatively because lack of the ‘moat’ in between):

The design methods and innovative ADIMof the EtherREGEN results in dual, isolated clock/data/power domains, blockage of all external leakage currents, a significant reduction in upstream phase-noise fingerprint, and maximal signal integrity.

”The circuitry across the ADIM™ (moat) is designed to eliminate the signal-borne phase-noise from one side to the other. EtherREGEN is mostly symmetrical—there is no “dirty side” or “clean side.” While it works identically in both directions, it is best to have the DAC-attached Ethernet endpoint device (computer/streamer/etc.) ALONE on one side—typically the ‘B’ side.

2 Likes

Sorry if it comes across as technical, but also it’s bytes not bits.

Thanks,
Nerdy software guy.

I believe that in the case of network traffic bits is the correct nomenclature.

I stand corrected. Excuse me. MBps would be bytes.

No problem. It’s easy to be confused by this bits / bytes thing as I know too well.
Back in the late '70’s when I was building kit PC’s it was much more familiar to me.
Obviously I don’t use the terminology much at all nowadays.

Not sure why you couldn’t have both mega bit and mega bytes - independent of how they’re typically used. Big “B” denoting bytes and small “b” bits, yeah?

It is a big B little b thing, yep. In the case of EtherRegen, it’s Mbps.

Has anyone tried powering their etherRegen with a quality PSU (Farad, Pardo, etc.) instead of the included wall-wart. If so, was there a clear improvement?

UpTone suggests that there should be no difference, but y’all know how this goes.

1 Like

I power my ER with a fully loaded Farad. It was a subtle improvement. The much bigger improvement in SQ was from powering the Matrix with a Farad. I was not expecting this.

3 Likes

Regarding the Matrix/Farad I have the same experience. The UpTone ultracap 1.2 LPS powering the ER is a small improvement.

1 Like

I’ve got an UpTone LPS 1.2 on the etherRegen already.

My sense is that upping it to a Farad may not be very cost-effective.