Anyone run ARC vs BHK Pre? Difference?

Sure Elk. Ping me if I get sidetracked but I should have a good idea by Sunday across streaming, jRiver, hi and low res etc. In my advanced age I’m going back to what I know I guess. Dyn was killer but back to Wilson. Levinson etc was great but back to Pass. Dacs galore (I love Dacs, I could make that a separate hobby) but back to PSA Dac and now pre.

If I’m not disciplined (and apparently I’m not in this hobby) I get stuck on the Merry Go Round. I was chatting with a dealer this morning who was finishing up a $300k sale on Solution products etc. I guess what I’m starting to realize is more $$ does not necessarily mean more enjoyment.

I’m blessed to have such a system. I need to remember that but it is really fun to try stuff. But exploring your way thru audio can cost ya!

I will report back sir… BTW way, the pre and DAC the PSA’s replaced was a M6SR and a M6PRE. I expect PSA to trounce both.

3 Likes

JRMC via Wi-Fi to a router and then Ethernet to Optical to Ethernet (with a switch thrown in there for good measure) fed to the DS Sr. via the Bridge II Ethernet card is the best digital signal chain (also the best sound, period) I have ever eked out of my system.

The PSA DS is the most transformative purchase I have made in 20 years (my speakers and Anthem Room Correction aside). It was the DS that convinced me that bits are (not) bits. I continue to be so impressed by what the DS can render from files and Discs.

Since you are a “new” listener, I am very interested in any reporting on your DS impressions you care to share.

Have fun.

Thanks. Due to some restraints which should be solved soon, I’m WiFi to a gaming type Laptop dedicated solely to music and then USB over. When I get a better connection etc I may try a Aurender, Lumin or similar. However I am Amazon HD which I like and that is not supported by many Mfgs. Amazon and Spotify (with the auto playlists) seem to work well for background, general and critical sessions.

My speakers are my top dog, biggest change no more upgrade babies. Had them a few months. I also upgraded cable in that time. The Pass amp is two weeks old. I am pretty familiar with what I was getting prior to this change with some dedicated test tracks so I am anxious to hear any changes, improvements etc. Thanks for the feedback

2 Likes

I replaced my BHK Pre with a ARC Ref 6 pre to feed my then BHK 300 monos. I preferred the ARC 6 in my setup with Maggie 30.7s. The soundstage and the music just seemed more real. But the ARC 6 was nearly 3x the price of the BHK Pre. Bang for the buck I would take the BHK Pre. If you are ok with the law of Audiophile diminishing returns and you have the cash the ARC 6 SE would be what I would feed a BHK 300.

1 Like

My guess is you will be very happy with the PS Audio synergy. So much so you may be tempted to try the BHK amplifiers

ARC ref 6 is great, recently took the plunge to upgrade mine to SE which brought it to an even higher level, absolutely worthwhile!!

2 Likes

Minnesotafats…The Ref 6 is a different league really especially money wise so it was not on the list. Ref 5 maybe but even that is 2X the BHK price. My guess is the Ref 5 is not 2X the performance. I’m sure that Ref 6 you have is awesome. Hopefully today will be a very positive indication of the synergy you mentioned and if the two devices play nice with Pass Labs.

It would be cool to try the 300s and compare. I’m not sure my back would like it but I got a great price on the Pass so not out of the question but first things first…

2x the price is never 2x the performance, just as BHK won’t be 2x the performance of something that costs half as much. Pick your budget, and get the best you can for that budget, comparing the contenders if possible. Good luck, post your impressions as others have suggested pls

3 Likes

EXACTLY kzk. Essentially I got a great Pre AND a DS for the price of a Ref 5 and way under a Ref 6 (like 10k under). The Ref 5 does not make a lot of sense I don’t think but I have not heard one A/B with a DS… The 6 sure but that is like a Al Angen $$$ experiment. Not me.

I did get them hooked up. Looks like Sunlight is installed. Dedicated Laptop/WiFi via USB to Sr to Pre. I set Sr to high gain and volume at 98. Pre I just selected input. If anyone has any tricks or upgrades let me know. I see threads on Matrix etc etc but have not done a deep dive there yet. All other connections other than USB are XLR. I use Audioquest Mackenzie or better. Power are all PSA AC3 or better for power to amp and wall to Niagara 3000.

I got like an hour of Spotify this morning. I wanted to start with low res/“normal” vs 24/196 etc. Sounded amazing. Only thing immediate I can tell is sound stage improved. No speakers essentially, everything is coming out the center/TV. However I listened to a lot of guitar and piano so have not tested for full effect. It was only 0800.

I can list test songs and impressions if interested. By Sunday I will have the full monty on what sort of havoc I have created…lol

1 Like

Sounds like a fun weekend. Enjoy

Perhaps the 6H30’s you’d heard we’re all current production versions. There is such a huge difference in my Ref 40 with the DR version it’s nit remotely the same.

I was lucky to obtain two full matched sets years ago which will last a lifetime. I’m still as enamored with the Ref 40 as I was when obtaining it 6 years ago used.

As for the new production versions the only ones I found remotely sonically usable were cryo’ed Upscale Audio ARC reference level selected ones.

1 Like

My last ARC preamp was an LS25 II which was upgraded from an LS25 Mk I at a considerable cost. The Mk II uses 6H30 tubes and the Mk I used 6922’s as I remember. I struggled with the Mk II for quite a while but ended up trading it for a Primaluna Dialog Premium preamp. Kevin Deal at Upscale is a very good salesman, indeed!

I see what you’re saying. Yes, Kevin is a great salesman. I won’t buy my tubes anywhere else if he carries the one(s) I need. Specifically, KT77 and KT90’s. I’ve a huge stash of original Svetlana Winged C 6550’s dated from 1990’s to around 2010 that are superb. Some are actually direct Svetlana’s from the factory before they imprinted the Winged C logo for USA distribution. Also, a good stash of the GE and Sylvania 6550’s. Even a few sets of the oldest coke bottle black plate and grey plate 6550’s. They sound lush and incredibly sweet especially on old tube recordings. The 6550’s have the biggest difference to the sound and staging of the 40.

The LS25 is quite huge step below the 40. The Pima Luna is a fine preamp as well. Lots of tube rolling potential. Kevin tried to get me to replace my 40 with one years ago. I kinda told him I don’t think so.

The 40 is so beautiful in its (naturalness) presentation it’s uncanny. The 40 is fully dual mono, full tube regulation and huge power supply (larger than a 150 watt/channel amp per side. Center Fill is the best I ever encountered in tube electronics. A joy to own.

It’s my final preamp and Reference for life. :sunglasses:

Since I’m a gray dude I suspect that may not be too far off. :joy:

1 Like

Getting talked into replacing a Ref 40 with a Prima Luna is the kind of calls I tell my parents to watch out for! :joy:

2 Likes

LOL and AMEN to that…:upside_down_face:

1 Like

You’re talking about the 40th anniversary preamp? I could not find a Ref 40 in the ARC database.

My CJ Premier 140 used a pair of the 6H30s and I definitely preferred the DR version. Oddly (maybe not) there were some who liked the EB version better.

I used to have the Ref 6 and sold it when I went all MBL gear including speakers. I believe in the synergy play with all the MBL and was all PS Audio BHK prior to the Ref 6 arriving. I think PS Audio may have a magic combination when they get their speakers to market. Good luck on your journey and God Bless.

If you ever decide to go the BHK 300 route, I would be interested in the Pass amp. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the offer. Thank Goodness your not in Colorado or I might be making even more changes…I’ll PM if I get a wild hair… There are threads out there comparing the two. Both great products and plenty of folks on either side of the fence.

2 Likes