Anyone run ARC vs BHK Pre? Difference?

Yep. It’s referred to both ways in posts on forums.

Hi brother! Very true. Like all things audio, right?

The current production gold pin EH and Sovtek version standard pin many do prefer. Perhaps, because they’re a bit brighter presentation(?).

Overall, it was very obvious to me as soon as I popped them in why the military gold wire grid DR original version was so much better. They only got better and sweeter (more natural) the longer they have been in. My 2nd choice would be the EH gold pin 6h30 if I had to choose. The DR’s are all but gone now very sadly.

BTW, those horrid silicone rings ARC uses absolutely must be dumped, IMHO. Herbies Audio Labs dampers are the “cats meow” for the ARC tubes, including the 6550’s which ARC doesn’t damp. The silicone rings can’t handle the heat.

Placement should be as close to the top of the 6H30 tube as possible. 6550’s place at the getter position. Give 100 hrs to settle in.

To date I do not recall anyone trying HAL tube dampers preferring the OEM ARC silicone rings over them. They really do allow your tubes to sing sweetly. :grimacing:

It’s a good thing the DR’s are rated for 10k hrs plus. :blush:

This is what makes audio fun! :+1::+1:

Late to the party here but do have some thoughts. I compared an ARC LS28SE directly with a BHK pre in my system - BHK 300 monoblocks, Magneplanar 3.7i. Primary source was a VPI Prime/Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC Star ES running through a PS Audio Stellar Phono. Stellar hooked to preamp and preamp to monoblocks with balanced cables. The LS28SE had just been returned from ARC where it was updated to SE. With the BHK using the Psvane 12AU7s that it came with, the LS28SE presented an image with much greater depth and also had a musical presentation that was more detailed while still remaining very smooth. On the basis of this comparison I gave some serious thought to replacing the BHK with an LS28SE. This inclination was lessened when I replaced the 12AU7s in the BHK with a pair of NOS Tungsram 7DJ8s. With these tubes, the differences between the two were much less. The ARC was still more pleasing to me in the attributes I mentioned but not enough to justify the cost difference.

Just my opinion.

p.s., I did end up replacing the BHK but not with an LS28SE. A story for another time.

1 Like

Tell the story now, enquiry mind wants to know. Is it with a different ARC or another brand?

Backert Labs Rhumba Extreme 1.3. Incredibly quiet and dynamic.

Nice choice. I read Dean Cacioppo’s review on Enjoy The Music.com and he liked it more than a couple of other ARC preamps at the time. Tubes also can make such a difference on the sound of the preamp.

I have the Mullard 12AU7s that it came with in it right now which I like quite a bit. I tried the Psvane 12AU7-S tubes that came in the BHK but they sounded very bright in the Rhumba Extreme. I also tried some NOS Tung Sol 12AU7s that I like best of all but I decided to stick with the Mullards at least until the pre has some break-in time on it. One of the reasons I chose the Rhumba Extreme over the Rhumba is that it has an auto-bias circuit that automatically biases for the tubes used. At this point, even with very little time on it, I’m really impressed by the Backert.

NOS Tung Sol is also my favorite with my Bruce Moore Companion 3 preamp. It had the fullness and vividness that’s very addicting.

Shameless Plug: I have two TS 12AU7 (one is etched as 12AU7A) as shown below. Bought them for a CJ PV10A and then sold the preamp after trying them very briefly just to make sure they sounded okay. Typical TS sound: textured with an excellent soundstage. $100 + $15 if anyone’s interested.

Just an observation based on what I’m hearing. The BHK and DS make a great combo along with the Pass Labs. I did get new tubes for the pre but ordered from PSA. I also added a Matrix I2s to the DS. IF (based on my results and previous experience) I were inclined to change the pre amp, I would search for a used/demo Ref6. 27, 28 or even Ref 5 would be more sideways then upwards. Imho…

1 Like