Anyone using Optical Ethernet setup?

So I started investigating premium Ethernet cables to see if there would be an advantage over cat 6a (which I found sounded better than cat 5) from my router to the DS/BII.

Once inside this rabbits hole of research, I discovered the world of Ethernet isolators, and using Ethernet via optical converters then back to copper cables. Some posts on computer audiophile seemed to indicate a benefit to isolating the computer and router via optical . I ordered the suggested parts, two TP link 210 and long dual optical cable, but after Receiving I realized the device needs tbase 1000 to work (they do make 10/100 versions)

Intersingly someone commented that they had a short audioquest carbon with premium connectors made up to go from the optical receiver and that provided a 10 percent benefit (upgrade from standard cat 6) from what the optical provided.

Anyone else experimented with optical Ethernet or isolators?

Delusions can be a lot of fun.

Hi EldRick,

are you implying that Ethernet cables don’t make a difference or that electrically isolating one’s computer from the DS won’t have a benefit?

I’ve been using LAN/Ethernet isolators (Acoustic Revive RLI-1) between my Xfinity Gateway and an Oppo 105D and the Bridge portion of DirectStream DAC. To my deluded ears they do make a noticeable, although not monumental, difference in terms of low level detail. Someone should also notify the medical industry where they’re used as a galvanic isolator to protect their patients.

The RLI-1 is not optically based but is an alternative.

Joe Appierto said To my deluded ears they do make a noticeable, although not monumental, difference in terms of low level detail.
Appears worthwhile to me. :)

Does anyone use DLink DGE 872?

When I use it between my Bridge II and router, my Bridge II sometimes disappears from UPnP Player list. According to the LED indicator from Dlink, there is no signal from Bridge II. Anyone can help? Thanks

Morris

I looked up the 872 and it says it’s gigabit. The dlink 210 I got is also gigabit and doesnt work. My guess is the bridge needs 10/100. I’m going to order some and try

People suggest to use fixed IP instead of dynamic IP for DHCP. I tried fixed IP and then my BII can be reached. The sound is very analogue like when using 872.

However, in morning it becomes unreachable again when behind 872. Can anyone confirm that bridge needs 10/100 instead?

Thanks

Morris

I am using TP-LINK MC110CS 10/100 media converter with bridge2 for about a year. SQ wise it is improvement over the ethernet 5e cable.

The SQ improvement is most pronounced when DS DAC is not galvanically connected to any other device (USB/spdif for e.g.). Interesting is that also disconnecting my P10 from ethernet improves the SQ - i guess there is quite a noise floating via the LAN ground connections…

I’m using default wall-warts with TP Link converters and while reading the experiences from other owners of media converters it may be also beneficial to use better (linear) PSUs. I am bit reluctant in going this way as it is not very systematic approach. Hopefully there will be PSA DS MK2 which will have it’s interfaces (bridge ethernet, usb and spdif , aes-ebu) even more isolated (ideally galvanically) from the rest of the world - this would be more correct approach for me :slight_smile:

LPS is necessary if our target is to reduce noise as SMPS is more noisy than LPS. According to my experience, such improvement is obvious especially the darkness of the sound.

maniac said i guess there is quite a noise floating via the LAN ground connections...
See my previous comment in this thread regarding LAN isolators.

Ordered an Acoustic Revive RLI-1 - 1GB version.

If it works properly, it should also support 10/100 speeds. I’ll place it between DS Bridge 2 and Ethernet hub, which is the only electrical connection to my DAC, aside from Kimber Select 1136 Balanced cables to the amp.

I can’t see much potential benefit for optical devices beyond the isolation this thing could provide, as it is an unpowered device, while optical links put additional power supplies in the signal path.