Audio Excellence YouTube comparing DS MKII with MSB Discrete

Twice as much in cost could be half as much in sales :thinking:.

4 Likes

@aangen That’s exactly what I do. Both with the DSDac MK1/PWT MK1 and my Sony UBP-X1000ES with the Chinese HDMI Video to I2S HDMI adapter board. Sonically, I don’t hear a difference running either Transport into the DSDac MK1 but it sure looks cool having both PS Audio Chassis stacked atop each other :smile:

7 Likes

All things being equal, yes. Taking into account factors like ‘audio nervosa’, no!

1 Like

They also look good in silver!

8 Likes

The Review bases his evaluation on “conveying emotion”? :rofl:
I am sure it is a great DAC.
But it is this kind of subjective BS gibberish that makes the audiophile world and reviewers laughable.

I do not have a DSD Mk2, but a fully modded DSD Mk1.
I like it because it is most like presenting live music.

I am a longtime musician and know what instruments and music sound like in real life.
Of course if the music is engaging and invokes emotions, that is ideal as I listen to music I enjoy, but that has little to do with the DAC.

A DAC is not the musician, just one conduit in the chain. Is it a good element in the system or not.
Whatever gear that can get me to a live experience is what I will buy.
This modded PS Audio DSD1 achieves that.

7 Likes

That’s the sort of thing that most reviews do. And often in the abstract it’s not so helpful. But here it is a direct comparison between two DACS, where one can take his statements about one dac and realize that he’s saying it’s better in those areas versus the other dac. This is much more helpful than random comments about one particular dac without a comparative basis, as most reviews often are. It’s where directly comparing one to another provides indications of the delta differences between products. I think he gave plenty of specific examples in the review of what was better if that’s what you’re looking for, including clarity, definition, spaciousness, etc. And it’s all inherently subjective of course unless you’re a measurements-only person, and nobody likes those folks ha : )

6 Likes

Yeah, I understand what reviewers do. Would rather hear from end users and see what the consensus is.

He stated at beginning that the MSB was his favorite DAC for 12-13 years and he has not ever found anything that is as good. Pretty much review was over at that point.
He perfunctorily praises the PSAudio and then says the MSB is better by far. LOL.

1 Like

Well as with any reviewer, you can either choose to trust them or not. Of course if you say this guy is not trustworthy, then I’m sure you’d also say that all of his videos praising PSA products are just as non-trustworthy, right?

End user reviews are great when the end users have a wide experience and exposure to many brands. Agree with you there for sure

1 Like

He just prefers the dac that costs 50-100% more. It’s just not that big of deal. MSB is a quality company. Nothing wrong with his conclusion other than it’s probably a bit bias based that’s all.

2 Likes

Yeah, agree. Indeed, the fact that he’s upfront about his historical preference for MSB is refreshing (better that he says it than not saying anything). But that’s a totally defensible position to have, as MSB is maybe the best known and best regarded dac maker of all time. Probably many or most who’d have the resources to have anything they want would say same thing. It’s a head-to-head of two dacs in different quality tiers, and the result is what you’d expect, which is no knock on the less expensive dac.

You are making the common assumption that if something costs a lot more then it must be better and in another tier. :grin:
That simply is not a valid metric and never has been in the audiophile world.

1 Like

I’ve 3 dacs , now on my rig , denafrips terminator plus , ps ds mk2 and esoteric 05xd,

Esoteric is 10 hrs burned in . Terminator plus is 1500hrs and and ds mk2 about 70.

Here’s my evaluation goes :slight_smile:
Terminator plus is too much energetic always for any genre you try. Specially it has big 3d imaging and exceptional high frequency nuances floating capabilities. Only lacking is the body of vocals .

Esoteric is very big sounding extremely musical and biggest 3d sounding dac amongst them . Bit warmer . Built in streamer isn’t on high end league but the Dac is a wowsa.

Ps ds mk2 with latest firmware and fpga loading, cables are valhalla 2 power and coax and aq fire xlrs doing some sweet dances . But after 2 hours of playing it just losts it’s high frequency by a great margin, if I change fix volume then for 2-3 mins high frequency come back again goes after some time . Excerpt this issue it goes toe to toe of esoteric except the body of sound . I’ll say it’s definitely in the league @tedsmith

plz have a look on this issue, love this dac and want to keep it .

4 Likes

I’d still go for the esoteric purely on looks and build feel if I have the dough that is :smiley:

It’s valid most of the time if you play with different gear and have enough experience and good ears. There are many exceptions of course, hence, education and learning is important. Doesn’t make the assumption invalid, just have to use care when applied to a situation.

Inhave heard others say sound takes a downward spin at about where you are. Then it gets better and better. Mine I just streamers for days straight before really sitting down and listening.

It is impossible to not have an opinion. But it’s an entirely other matter to have knowledge and experience. For you, your current opinion is based on your current experiences.

I strongly believe that when you do bring home a DAC similar to the DACs I have brought home, your opinion will change dramatically. All if a sudden a modified MK1 won’t be held in such high regard.

But until you hear it for yourself…

3 Likes

Of course when someone spends $13K on a DAC or any component they are very likely going to say it is one of the best they have ever heard, or in the case of the reviewer above who sells that gear and his livelihood depends upon it, he is going to say it is the best he has ever heard going on 13 years.

He basically is disqualified based upon that inherent conflict of interest as having objectivity, and you cannot claim that is not the case. I really wouldn’t even call this guy a true reviewer who do not present reviews for components they sell. (Of course supposed unbiased reviews in audiophile publications have been conflicted indirectly for years due to advertising streams as we all know). This guy is a nice guy, has a right to his opinion but is primarily a salesman, not a reviewer. Period. End of story. The info has limited value compared to end users aggregate opinion about a component who do not have a conflict of interest.

FWIW- I have spent time in private homes and listening rooms (not audio show booths, or sales show rooms) with Mfrs of very high end well known ridiculously expensive gear who I have known personally. I am pretty sure it was in same tier as anything anyone here has brought home.

I also am fortunate to have the resources to buy what I want like many people here. Some of the setups were extraordinary. Some were not. Some met my criteria of the realism of live music.

High end audio is a law of diminishing returns for the money spent at best. It is inevitably a money pit for the end user the further one goes down the rabbit hole.

We all have to make a subjective decision as to when we think we have reached the point that we are satisfied and to chase enhancements and spend more money is no longer sensible.

My benchmark has always been realism and I have spent thousands and thousands of hours playing and listening to live music for decades. I don’t care in the end what a sales person, Mfr, or a reviewer says. I have heard a fair amount of systems that meet my benchmark. I do not claim to have the best system I have ever heard,but it satisfies my benchmark.

FWIW I cancelled my order for a DSD Mk2. What I have in my system achieves the benchmark for me.
Might not be someone else’s preference, but again, it is subjective at a certain point.

Trying other components is certainly fun, but at this point anything in the ultra high end is simply a different flavor, not necessarily better.

I would rather spend my money on guitars and keyboards TBH.
Much better ROI.

1 Like

Much ado…

4 Likes

How does the FR30 sound?

Please keep burning in that MK2. It will develop more and more to your liking. Give it at least 300 hours. At about 500 it’s about mature.
Until the next FPGA upgrade arrives. :wink: