BHK 250..****** up! HELP!

Hey guys. I made a mistanke tonight when I swopped tubes in my BHK preampšŸ˜Ŗā€¦

I forgot to switch the voltage chip on my left channel when I replaced my 7 volt tubes for 12 volts. It just slipped my mind that it must be done on both sides (had a couple of beers to many probably)ā€¦ I then hooked the system back up.

I heard a pop from the left speaker and the BHK 250 went into protect mode. I turned everything off immediately and put the chip back in the right place. Then I tried hooking everything up again, but the left speaker just had a totally distorted sound. I swopped the old preamp tubes back in the pre. Same result. I swopped the tubes for new ones in the poweramp too, but same result. I then tried to use my Directstream as pre and it kinda worked for a little while, but the sound went away from that channel when I reduced the volume on the DS dac, then it came back when I turned it up again ā€¦ Then everything sounded ok when I turned the volume up again until I reached a moderate 50dB (on the ā€œhigh gain settingā€), but then the speaker started distorting again. I swopped the speakers too, just to confirm it wasnā€™t blown drivers, but the speakers are ok.

It seems that the problem most likely lies with the the poweramp. Any ideas what it might be?

Too much beer! :cowboy_hat_face:
Sorry about that I couldnā€™t resist, all in fun.
Seriously, Iā€™d power it down and give PS Audio Tech Support a call Monday morning. This canā€™t be their first rodeo.

1 Like

Sorry to hear this. Did you try swapping speaker channels to ensure left speaker is fine?

Yes I did. Forgot to mention that, but I swopped the signal cables on the pre first and the problem moved over to the other speaker and the left one sounded fine.

Sorry to hear this. I know the feeling and hope it gets resolved quickly!

I can imagine myself making that kind of mistake. It seems strange that the problem seems to be in the amp rather than the pre-amp but I agree with weedeewopā€™s suggestion. Good luck and let us know what happens.

1 Like