BHK Pre...should I purchase?

Current setup.

Direct Stream DAC > BHK 300’s.

Just that single peripheral so dont need it to control multiple inputs.

Given BHK pre is on sale now wondering if I should purchase to improve system sound quality?

Appreciate any thoughts

Thank you

Save money to upgrade to DSD MK2. My 2 cents. There will be the next sale, or used option, no need to feel pressure to purchase now.

Depends of course. IMO the BHK Pre was the best addition to my PS Audio stack for improved SQ.

2 Likes

I would get the pre. The new DAC will be available for a good long time.

1 Like

I’d take advantage of the sale and get the BHK Pre now. When the MK2 is released you can trade in your DS, or wait for another sale. I used to run my DS straight into my JC1’s, but after adding the BHK Pre I can’t imagine listening without it.

5 Likes

When I inserted my BHK pre between my DSD and amp, the improvement was substantial and something I could hear from that point on. It wasn’t the sort of thing that you wonder about as time passes.

5 Likes

Only you can decide. I will say the sale price of the pre without having to pony up a trade is hard to take a pass on. I traded for mine through my (then) dealer Music Direct but would not have been able to match the current sale price had I no gear to trade. I also can’t imagine being without the BHK Pre in my rig, SQ-wise.

Thx
General feeling i should go for it given the price etc
Thanks to all who have weighed in

4 Likes

I was close to being in your shoes. My systems changes several times a year. At the moment I am running a Lumin X1 straight into the BHK 250. It sounds great, and I have read several post where people do not use a preamp with the X1 as it sounds so good. They where right it does sound very good.

With that being said. With the sale price and the 30 day trial. I thought I might as well give the BHK Pre a try. As soon as I inserted the Preamp the sound stage opened up even more. I was not expecting the change as it was already great. I would say you have nothing to lose in trying it. Worse case you spend $150ish on return shipping.

1 Like

Without reservation, you will hear the difference with the BHK Pre in the mix. Soundstage takes on a different dimension, especially depth and height is remarkable improved. The definition in the bass is also a major step up in quality (and quantity).

With the sales going on and the generous return policy (which I highly doubt you will use!), it’s a no brainer.

You can always return the Pre within 30 days if it doesn’t make an improvement.

1 Like

+1 to above recommendations. I was bummed for just the few days I had to have the BHK Pre in for service. Noticeable improvement in my setup and well worth it!

I also recommend the purchase. Along with a world class preamp you also get a killer headphone amp free gratis.

2 Likes

I would call it a “good” headphone amp. “Killer” is a bit generous. Especially since it’s not balanced.

2 Likes

Thx man
Looks like im gonna pull the trigger

5 Likes

I think you will enjoy the addition. As noted you can always send it back if for some reason it doesn’t work out but I have a feeling that it will slot right into your system very happily.

1 Like

It is the best headphone amp that I have ever owned although I found out that HP’s are just not for me. I had some of the best and although the sound was very enveloping I just prefer speakers more.

2 Likes

It is a very different experience. Especially when you consider open back, closed back, IEM, etc…

I particularly like headphones for late night TV watching. It’s not quite as good as a full Atmos experience, but it’s close.

1 Like

Like others here, I too recommend getting the BHK pre, especially with it being on sale.
I initially ran the DSD Sr directly into the BHK 250, and although I thought it sounded good, it was a whole different ballgame when the pre was inserted into the chain.

1 Like

If you are not opposed to used gear, there’s several BHK Pre’s available.

I understand the desire to get something new with a warranty.

1 Like