BHK Signature 250 or 300 Tube Rolling

wakethetown

If you are new to tubes and tube rolling I would stick with a trusted dealer like Andy Bowman at Vintage Tube Service. The other two “touted” dealers on forums are little much on hype and high on pricing. Another reputable dealer of European tubes is tubemonger.com in Ca. I have dealt with all of them and this is my opinion and others opinions may differ.

dawkinsj said The other two "touted" dealers on forums are little much on hype and high on pricing.
And these two are whom?

Over the years i have found Brent Jessee and Andy Bowman very helpful. The former has normally carried a wider selection. Each have been insightful and reliable.

While i have also purchased from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio, a poor customer service experience took him off my list of go to vendors. Long story short - he refused to help me trouble shoot some tubes i purchased from him that had problems. Since I didnt buy my BHK amp from him, his view was that the issue wasnt his problem. There are more professional and reliable options for tube vendors out there, in my experience.

Did you ever try NosTubeStore?

Never have, Jomal.

JM said

While i have also purchased from Kevin Deal at Upscale Audio, a poor customer service experience took him off my list of go to vendors.

It’s in his DNA, I had a similar experience with him on some Nos tubes.

Bad news. I thought buying at least two pairs with them… :confused:

Brent and Kevin.

rogerdn said

It’s in his DNA, I had a similar experience with him on some Nos tubes.

Same here bought a few sets, then had a problem with one set, no responses at all, never went back, done!

@dawkinsj who is the other dealer with whom you are not impressed?

PSAF said

Same here bought a few sets, then had a problem with one set, no responses at all, never went back, done!

I finally got him to take them back but charged a15% restock fee, which took over a month and a reminder call from me to get.

dawkinsj said

Brent and Kevin.

@dawkinsj, by your experience with both, does it mean that either Upscale Audio or Brent Jessee Rec. & Supply don't have a good customer service experience (before/after sale) or is there something related to tube quality?

I have never had a customer service issue with either though know plenty that have with the latter when tubes were not as described. Both are somewhat excessive in the claims they make for their tubes in relation to the quality and their pricing is top of the market. Everyone is free to buy from whoever’s inventory and pricing suits them. I have found others to be more reliable and price friendly.

a25105 said

Mark,

Is this the same 6922 that you are referring to?

https://www.upscaleaudio.com/products/siemens-a-frame-e88cc-6922

Not quite. My tubes have round getters and were manufacturered in the mid-60s.

I LOVE this place and the access we have to the people who created these wonderful amps.

I’ve yet to see my monoamps, but by the time I do, I’ll have FIVE sets of after-market tubes to evaluate. My sets includes British-made Amperex A-frame and Mullard dimpled-disc-getter 6DJ8/ECC88s, Tungsram 7DJ8s from Upscale, inexpensive Voskhod 6H23Ps from tubestore.com, and highly affordable ($38 in ‘Line Level’ quality) Matsushita 6DJ8/ECC88s from Vintage Tube Services. The first-two sets I accumulated while my c-j ET250S was in the system.

I’ll play music with my amps 24/7 for at least three weeks after they arrive. During that time I’ll roll these sets thru about every 3 days to get them broken in and the noisy ones culled–of which I hope there are none. My system is VERY easy to work on–I can walk behind both the frontend-equipment rack and the poweramps and speakers–to perform this labor of love. (I initially ordered the stereo '250s but this morning changed the order to monoamps.)

2018Jan31_1310067_w-M700_1500w.jpg

I have new coupling caps, Jupiter Copper Foil Paper and Wax 600VDC, awaiting the amps’ arrival, but probably I’ll wait until I’m thoroughly satisfied with the amps before taking a solderingiron to them. Also have my 5-star-plus Neotec UP-OCC-solid-silver-conductor ICs being reterminated to balanced configuration with what I’m told are best-sounding Neotec '6613 XLRs.

wow.

Just wow.

I expect detailed reports. :slight_smile:

For those tube rollers out there we’ve put together a short video on how to roll tubes in the preamp as well as change voltage and current. Our own James Herod in Customer Service is at the helm in this one and he does a great job! Good to see some young blood in the game.

https://youtu.be/vIKGN8hQazI

1 Like

Thanks. Nice video and should prove very helpful. One thing James might have mentioned is that you do need to change the jumpers (and tubes) for both channels. Should be obvious but you never know …

That’s right, just put a P20 in the background to get us agitated! Nice video!

1 Like

The new video and the owner’s manual indicates there is one voltage and one current jumper. Are there two total or two per channel (four total)?