Bridge II New Features vs CAPS Server

That’s good to hear Paul, but hope the cover art is improved.

Interesting. So we will be able to synchronize players or or have “device specific control”? That, for me, was always (still is) the best feature of the Squeezebox platform.

It looks like mconnect doesn’t replace JRiver (which I currently use to organize and stream my music) on one’s computer but replaces something like JRemote on one’s ipad/iphone. Mconnect then controls JRiver dnla server to send tunes from one’s computer to the bridge. Is that correct?

That’s right.

Of course you can also use mconnect with other server software, such as minimserver.

Recent upgrades of squeezelite (linux player OS) with LMS server shows it’s a very credible SQ solution (Antipode audio, daphile, vortexbox, Sonore, SMS-100…). Squeezebox community produces tons of useful plugins (webradios, Qobuz, Tidal) essential for a modern streamer. For me these options are a key success factor for Aries and Sonos.

The bridge II is linux based. I’m sure that a Bridge II/squeezelite OS option should work.

As the last sonore rendu signature reviewed in CA, it will bring all this ecosystem via I2S to our loved Directsream. With a NAS i’m sure it will be a killer solution.

I have had few servers other than the ones I now build for comparison . For me almost nothing is in the realm of server made for purpose. Unless one spends mega bucks on one.

Squeezebox especially. But to each ther own.

The del, server you have seems really powerful and I woild love to hear one.

But it’s not exactly what an audio server should be.

Less cores is better. Xeon is better than reg Chips cause if better stability.

Less memory is also better no more than 4 gig on one chip. Unless you up sample on the fly ten perhaps 6.

Psu having a high end chip is good but total,power used needs to be 90 watts or less if possible. Reason is a linear psu . It’s very expensive to find a good psu over 100 watts. The atx dc to dc is cheap but psu is expensive. The hd pled is about 500 all in and very good .

going fanless as well as SS drives is also very good. For me using the bridge over a fanless server is great way to enjoy the glory of the DS weather bridge or usb. Ipad or what ever is fine to just carry your music control around.

On computoraudiophile . Com there is plenty of info on servers . Audio Phil designs the audio optimizer and much of the info he has posted on. Now having win serv 2012 is fine as it allows for better control of services running. But some feel win 8 is also very good .

also a dedicated usb audio card is a worth while investment . But if you use the bridge 2 this is not needed. And for me the new bridge in sound is a winner .

al

I assume that since Bridge II is DLNA/UPNP compatible, I don’t need mconnect player. Very happy with JRemote. Really just looking for gapless over the bridge.

JRMC and JRemote should work fine.

Figured so. Thanks, just wanted to make sure. Just downloaded the $4 version of mconnect. Sorry but hope Bridge II works better then mconnect looks and works. I know there’s not a lot of love here for JRiver/JRemote but I think they work beautifully and JRemote is lightning fast and looks great too. YMMV.

I’m sure we can spend tons of money for a server but OS is the most important IMHO. After hours of tests with optimized windows, a simple fanless SSD I3 Intel NUC with HD plex linear power supply and JCAT USB is amazingly good with Daphile/Ipeng combo. Quite inexpensive, very easy to install and DSD compatible. The bridge II should be very good in SQ to outdo this kind of configuration. Cost is a nobrain.

Easy access to streaming services is a minimum today as an “Netflix audio” will emerge soon. For me, one of the biggest DS strenght is PCM SQ with webradio and streaming in FLAC. As I love PS audio products, I hope DLNA/Mconnect choices will allow it. If yes, i’ll buy it the first day.

Here is my view and take it for what I say and not being synical

man I3 is just not good as a server even if Xeon. You need an I5 min. As pcm can play and dsd but you are not getting the level of performance as with a I5 or above. Maybe a really fast I3 but from my Listening. The following occurs

in low level sounds non complex all is well. How ever as music becomes complex the sound changes shape

it dies the same from low to loud complex

you may think it’s how it’s recorded but it’s not. This is why I got into the servers.

As I have found when we are playing some simple track we love all is well but in classical or even just Rock music there is so much more the ds can bring us. I have proven this point to some they I have loaned servers too.

Mad far as how expansive and or complied the server yes cheap but setup right as your post shows gets you close to top. As always the last 20 % always cost the most. The DS can give some amazing details and a halagrapghic stage but not from an lesser cpu setup.

And the pwt never got me anywhere near that Neiborhood period.

Hate my claim but prove me wrong and I’ll be happy with you.

Daphile is linux based and it can be server (LMS) on one machine and streamer (Squeezelite) on another or both. In this specific case, i tried every combination and the best is to install both on the same machine and load track from SSD instead of my NAS or best, from RAM (terrific option).

With many tests, i agree with you on windows, servers need power and i’m pretty sure that processors have sonic signatures as well. In linux world i don’t think that power is correlated with SQ. Many of us are very happy with minimserver on a quite slow NAS for example.

In my perception, streamers like bridge II have more impact on SQ than servers and windows is not a good candidate for streamers. I’m pretty sure that a streamer processor should be as low as possible. The best example is the Totaldac Server (wrong name it’s a Streamer) wich runs with a 70$ cubox with MPD. Jriver made the Id project with a Linux Jriver version. They choose a celeron NUC.

JRemote is wonderful. I agree. And better than MConnect. Feel free to use it!

Thanks and yes all my stuff is with windows. Only two macs both I7 one is iMac and over is Mac book or. The iMac trashs the laptop.

I have never built a Linux or non win Serv and it seems to make sense as ,last servers non windows use small cpu types . A have or have used in serves about 15 symbology nas dives with SS drives or spinners . And yes they sound good as well. I own a Krell connect server it’s Linux and works well but not as good as a win SER . Or even the iMac. A bit of let down. But it does support all the internet radio and music servers though. My first good server was an msb umt plus. This is kinda how it all started. From there I wntnto ap1/pp and an offramp. But serves trump both of them now. Anyway thanks for the reply and let’s enjoy the music .

al

Paul McGowan said JRemote is wonderful. I agree. And better than MConnect. Feel free to use it!
But not compatable with current Bridge right ?

Sure is. I exclusively use JRiver/JRemote with the current bridge. I am an enthueastic supporter of both products!! I Think JRemote only works with JRiver.

That’s what I thought, I no longer use the player.

Yes, absolutely correct. Here’s the thing. If you are using a computer as the server, then JRiver/JRemote are the preferred clients. I use and recommend MConnect player to those that are using another client for the server, perhaps one built into a NAS or Asset, or other UPnP clients that haven’t a dedicated controller/server package like JRiver.

For me using an external nas and a cpu as a control point is not the best sound quality although I am being picky. Have the cpu server with internal as drives is best quality. But even with the new bridge in a network and a server gets me very close to usb sound. So cheers to is audio for obtaining a bridge that gets us this close at a fraction of the cost of a server setup. Paul you have a winner for sure.

Al