Calling all trained listeners

So here we go:
Sean Olive from Harman’s Revel line of speakers…sadly Dr Floyd Toole who kicked off
Harman’s research into speaker design and listening tests is no longer mentioned.

Dr Toole was key in turning Harman’s speaker designing around from bad to successful.

Have fun reading

Floyd Toole - Sound reproduction – art and science/opinions and facts

2 Likes

You should watch his video before commenting on it, because that’s not what he said.

I have a good friend who is producer owning a nice studio. He regularly comes over to my place to listen to music recorded in his studio and to evaluate if its ready to release. We often finds some imperfections that lead him to fine tune the mix/master. Are we trained listeners?

Dunno and don’t care, but love these sessions!

2 Likes

The good news is that you stay friends evaluating his recordings.

2 Likes

While “generally consistent across all categories of listeners,” the study concluded “The trained listeners were the most discriminating and reliable listeners.”

The study found this provides “evidence that the preferences of trained listeners can be safely extrapolated to a larger population.”

Nota bene, trained listeners were the most discriminating and reliable listeners with speakers, the most obviously different component. Extrapolating, the distinction between trained listeners and the general populace will be even greater when more subtle differences are at play, such as the differences between DACs.

1 Like

My experience is most musicians are not interested in high-end audio for the same reason the vast majority of the public are not; it simply is uninteresting. A basic system is sufficient for them, as it is with most people.

3 Likes

I knew all along …you just found out :innocent:

1 Like

Exactly…!

Posted in wrong thread, so sorry. See what’s spinnin’.

1 Like

Just proves you are a genious…
For you see …
Einstein had to have others do the simple math
so he could concentrate on higher esoteric
relatives and their theories … :musical_score: :notes: :musical_note: :saxophone: :trumpet: :guitar:

1 Like

“Senior Moment” :dizzy_face:

1 Like

Never your too young for that!! :grinning:

I never noticed before that Floyd Toole’s work focused mainly on single speakers playing a mono signal. Did that mean that measurements and listener preferences for single mono speakers correlated perfectly with the sound quality of stereo speakers - or did Toole simply not concern himself with stereo imaging and soundstage reproduction?

My understanding Toole worked with multi channel and had a rather impressive multi-channel set-up. A Duck, Duck,… search should identify it: first hit I got:

http://www.mariobon.com/Articoli_storici_Vari/Toole/Libro_bianco_Toole_123.pdf

&:

When I first heard of Floyd Toole’s work with Harman…he worked
at training listeners and these then used the Harman spinorama
that would be preloaded with various pairs of speakers that would
be hidden behind an acoustically transparent curtain so the
evaluators did not know which pair they were evaluating.

Floyd Toole did not focus on mono only…but was more focused
stereo and multichannel oriented speaker set ups.

I read some of his whitepapers he included 2 and multi channel
diagrams with how to set up the Infinity rabos system…

Happy trails

1 Like

@davida
My question about Toole’s adoption of mono test conditions was prompted by his comments in the YouTube video you presented earlier (at about 8:20 into the lecture). I was aware of some of his work on multi-channel sound and room effects, but I didn’t know if he used the same approach to trained listeners in those studies.

More replying with regard to Paul’s post on musicians ignore
high end audio…

Well this is simply not the case…

Witness Avery Fisher violinist with NY symphony with then
Avery Fisher Hall…who personally designed his gear and would
audition them in his own home studio lab to evaluate them before putting
into production. Would then take a production sample and re-test to
validate the performance of his production.

Avery was very was passionate about his craft…Restored Fisher gear
will give modern day gear a good run for it’s money …I know from
having a vintage mid 60s Fisher 800c…

Then we have Frank McIntosh also a musician founder of McIntosh
Labs Binghamton NY …very passionate of high end audio.

There are probably numerous others …

I knew of a music professor with an amazing highend classic all tube
system.

Glenn Young alias Boomzilla (Emotiva Lounge) with a family of musicians
and reviewer on Secrets of HomeTheaterHighfidelity…has had more gear
run through his home listening space than you can shake a stick at…with
detailed analysis of his findings.

Included this to counter balance Paul’s statement…

Happy trails

@weedeewop
Thanks for the links to more Toole stuff. I’m not sure they hit directly on the question I had about mono vs stereo testing by Toole, but they’re very interesting discussions nevertheless.

It was intended to suggest a path to an answer for your question, not the answer, as in DIY. :grin: