DAC upgrade for the Stellar GainCell DAC

Hi
Just got my self the The Stellar GainCell DAC many used it as a analog preamplifier the output is a PrimaLuna. power amp with 8 KT 120 driving my speakers B&W 804D many play records vinyl and use the Node for Hi-Res Music Streamer and CD I am using the Stellar GainCell DAC and love the sound . but i have a few people say to me to upgrade the dac to the DENAFRIPS PONTUS II just asking has any one used this dac and can you use the DSD DIRECT THROUGH I2S using the DENAFRIPS PONTUS II ? will it be a good upgrade

thanks

1 Like

Welcome Tangoman.
I cannot answer your specific questions but is there a reason you wouldn’t use the Pontus II I2S input?

I can’t help you specifically on the Pontus but as far as DACs go, there are plenty that will improve on the SGCD at a good price point with local support. Look at TMR and you will find a great price on a PSA Jr and a couple Sr’s. I know for a fact that is a substantial improvement as I have had all three- stellar, Jr and Sr.

1 Like

I realize this is an old thread… But, I just replaced a Venus II 12th with the Stellar Gaincell. Long story, it started with a used pair of Zu Omen Dirty Weekend speakers I picked up here in the Detroit area from a new friend. My Denafrips gear sounded rather meh with the Zu’s. My new buddy that I purchased the Zu’s from was using a Parasound A23+ and Gaincell as a DAC Preamp. So, I bought one of each, and the speakers sounded incredibly good, but still not what I wanted.

Watching a YT video, I ran across a gentleman touting the benefits of the vintage Sansui units and Zu speakers… I found one locally for $200 and have not looked back. I am sitting here listening to it right now, a 1970 Sansui 4000, the FM tuner section, Pink Floyd, and it sounds incredible. All of the Denafrips gear is gone, the Node is gone.

I am not saying the Venus DAC is or was bad, it was not. But it simply did not play well with these Zu speakers. And then when the Gaincell entered the picture, it was up for sale and is long gone.

If you are streaming with the Gaincell from a computer, you really need a DDC to clean up the noise. Just make sure it is compatible with the i2s on the Gaincell if that is the route you go. Long story, I had my Denafrips Iris DDC show up at my door the other day, so I through it into the system… Yep, it worked with my Mac mini and using the digital coax out to the Gaincell… Sounds damn good, and using the Sansui as the amp, it really has that airy almost tube like sound that the Sansui does so well on its own. That DDC really cleaned up that digital sound or noise.

There are plenty of DDC’s out there, just find one that you can use the i2s with the Gaincell. My Iris does not, so digital coax it is. And don’t forget the WiiM Pro and their new Pro+ streamers. The DACs in them sound darn good when using a 5v LHY linear power supply.