Difference between s300 and m700 on ELAC speakers

I had the S300 here in the UK, for just over a year, and it was paired with my Amphion 3 LS speakers. I got a good deal on a new pair of M700’s, and the difference was quite staggering ( price was about £1500 for the S300 and £3000 for the M700’s) as if a veil had been lifted, bass, sound stage air around the instrument’s etc

2 Likes

Your experience matched mine. As good as the S300 was, the M700s were a big change. And still had my S300 so could A/B them on different types of music.
Even at similar decibel range, the M700s had a wider soundstage and several friends gave me the same feedback. And as much as I found the bass improved, it was the mid that seemed to really open up.
Now if I can hold out a while before those M1200s start singing me their comehither …

The M1200’s are really fantastic. I went from the M700 to the M1200, and there is increased smoothness and a wonderful magic that the tubes bring. It is a huge step up in sound quality. Yet I REALLY liked the M700, and it really did seem strange trading in the M700 with all their positive sound quality attributes.

1 Like

I felt the same way when I moved up from the S300 to the M700.
Guess it’s that upgrade addiction getting in my bloodstream

1 Like