DirectStream and Sound Quality

@jazznut

I am not in disagreement with Ted. I am just pointing out that the phenomenon that he describes works in a way that is indeterminate in regards to positive or negative sound quality in regards to different network protocols transmitting the same exact data.

Ok, first I understood you doubted that network protocols play a role for different noise and sound quality when transmitting bitperfect data. Now I understand you just doubt that it can be determined if the protocol and their noise pattern differences cause other than random positive or negative sound differences, so that protocols still wouldn’t play a role by that uncertainty.

I could imagine that those sound quality implications are indeterminate theoretically, but it would still be identifieable by listening to the one or other protocol and its practical behavior I’d say (which I understood is what Ted has experienced).

Isn’t it just another case where we roughly know about a cause, can’t theoretically simulate the effect, but hear it?

I might have missed something due to language matters :wink:

Well, I am saying that the noise generated by various protocols may be different but it is still noise. It’s not like one protocol doesn’t make noise while another does not. That noise would be as random as the bits transmitted.

So, over time, there be no way that one protocol transferring track data would sound significantly different than other protocol transferring the same track data. If one were able to discern the difference, it may not sound better or worse, just different. Or, if it did sound better or worse, that would change from one part of the track to another and from one track to another.

Not that I’d insist (I have no clue), but why should the way the one protocol reacts on those noise patterns not go in a certain better or worse direction generally and independent of individual tracks? The one or other protocol is at least a constant in the game.

1 Like

Look at how much of a data transfer is non-music data…not much…and that non-music data is a little different every time anyway.

I can also attest to the fact that the EtherRegen on the bridge 2 with WAV or dsd files and Windom represents an entire new level of reproduction.

I had a passive medical Ethernet isolator in the system as well right before the bridge, and pulling that out of the pathway now that I have the EtherRegen, was astonishing.

2 Likes