Directstream DAC versus DCS Rossini

Have you narrowed it down to one or two choices yet?

TIA/have fun.

Right now I’m leaning MSB.

10-4.

Thank you.

Was there a rationale that Ted provided for dropping the DAC volume (and compensating with the volume of the preamp)? Maybe has something to do with the noise floor of the DAC? Sorry, I couldn’t find his post on this topic. Seems like an easy experiment to do.

It’s been a while but I do think it had to do with the noise floor.

Sometimes I find technical explanations the same as I found advanced algebra in the 12th grade. As long as the teacher is speaking I follow along but when asked later to reproduce what was said I get lost in the weeds.

1 Like

there you are:

Best Regards …

IIRC, with volume at 100 the output devices could sometimes request higher voltage/power than the actual power supply could deliver. A side-effect of the decision to reuse the PerfectWave DAC’s PSU.

Or maybe I got that all wrong. :man_shrugging:

Hi Al,

The Mac Mini is indeed a marvelous device and very capable music server. My Intel Intel based (late 2014) iMac sounds better as music server than the dedicated BlueSound Vault2 music server from 2020. It consumes much lower energy when in stand by (wake on lan switched on) and even if it shares the music files, it does it without activating the display and thus consumes very low power even then. Neither will it wake any other processes.

Imagine a Mac Mini with M1 chipset. That needs even less power and consequently produces less noise.

I have no reference to compare it to an Aurender or Esoteric, but I consider many negative comments about those devices as server as horror stories that are simply not true, at least when I compared to the BlueSound Vault2.

Managing a library on a dedicated “audiophile” server is harder, for many CD’s I own there is no proper metadata available on the internet. Automated ripping procedures in dedicated audio servers start doing strange things when that happens. Editing metadata is much simpler when the music files are on the same computer than on a shared network drive/dedicated music server that might even put the unknown music files in quarantine.

With Apple Music supporting high res files starting June 1st 2021 and BluOS running happily in parallel without conflicts the Mac Mini M1 might very well become my dedicated Audio server in the future.

I am glad it works out to your satisfaction. My thought is far too many people grab a Mac Mini and stop there. It works, as do laptops and computers in general. It is not the tip top solution by a long shot though and too many people accept it as such. It causes me no harm so I am fine. You may be happy to know my Pink Faun takes care of my needs.

3 Likes

I can’t comment on the new Mac Mini with the M1 but I had the Mini with the I7 and the Roon Nucleus blows it away on sound quality running through the Matrix Spdif.

1 Like

If you’re wondering how a Mac Mini compares to An Aurender or Esoteric, you came to the right person. I started out with a Mac Mini and did get it to sound pretty decent. I decided to get a dedicated server mainly because I wanted the functionality for playing music only. I got the Aurender N10 and wasn’t prepare for the sound quality of this unit. While the Mac Mini can play the music, the N10 lets you feel the music. Not even close. The Esoteric N-03t transport takes it a step further. It added a sense of ease and fullness along with the most transparent and detailed sound I have ever heard in my system. The down side is these units cost 8 to 10 times more than the Mac Mini. I still have use for the Mac Mini. It’s a wonderful unit to stream hi-rez videos for my TV.

Hi,
My experience is that a computer as a server for the ds is not the best option at all. It is a very big step away from what you can reach. Sorry for you that you had an even worse setup with the Bluesound, but I really would like to advise you to not give up. I have a lumin mini with the matrix device with 2x external powersupplies and it sounds way way better than my intel Nuc input. Not cheap however… Ted said that computers generate to much noise.

1 Like

Pink Faun is from Rhenen in The Netherlands, 15 km from where I live.

I thrust the Pink Faun will sound better connected to equipment of the level you own.

Also I would expect Aurender and the other high end servers of a similar price range outperform a computer.

But, you are comparing servers north of 10.000 EURO.

Given the fact that a EUR 1200 dedicated audio server does not sound better (in my case worse) and the fact that there is a plethora of network gear between my server and the streamer, I trust that computers still provide Big Bang for the bucks.

1 Like

Me too. It is a set it and forget it device. As they say on the website “no sound just music”

Prior to my acquiring the Pink Faun I was very pleased with the performance and versatility of my Euphony PTS server which if I recall was about $1500 US.

We both understand each other I believe. You have expressed that you are pleased with your Mac Mini solution. I accept this and I am happy for you. I and others have expressed that there are even better solutions available, at a broad range of prices. We will all be fine if you stay with what you have but we know you potentially could benefit from other choices.

2 Likes

I agree I could, but there are other priorities, like better speakers, new turntable sure you know how long those lists can be.

2 Likes

Don’t follow my steps. I have issues.

6 Likes

Well, if you can afford high end dedicated music servers and you like them, enjoy them.

I am happy with my computer based music server because:

My dealer told me that my NAD M33 has arrived, he will ship it after Pentecost next week. With a NAD C658 in the home office and M33 in the living room I can enjoy the prime benefit of BluOS, which is effortless multi room streaming and controlling it with any remote and smart device we can grab at the moment we need it.

That way we can benefit even more from a well configured music library and network.

The M33 integrated with streamer is expensive and caused issues with my cabling in the living room.

I purchase the M33 as I hope for the following advantages:

• It replaces a bi-amp, stereo configured AV Receiver, all the comments I read about bi-amping confirm what I can not hear on that system very well: stage imaging, rather the lack of it
  • Better bass response on my full range Canton Vento speakers: AV Receivers are designed with a mindset that the users connect subwoofers. I expect the 7 amps inside that AV Receiver are not targeted at punching in the low frequency range very well. For the same reason I don’t use multi-channel, I also don’t have a subwoofer: lack of space
  • I want on place the speakers further apart from each other to create a wider listening position (it will still be the ideal equal sided triangle from the most common listening positions the different position should improve room issues (bass response) and stage imaging

All HDMI sources need to be connected to the TV rather than the AV Receiver. So the current HDMI cables are too short. TV and BlueRay/CD via Toslink to the M33.

Consequently, with the M33 comes a decent package of new cables. My dealer hooked me up to Atlas Cables from whom I always get good deals and they are very helpful with special requests.

No top of the range cables, good cables to make it all work, but those cables set you back for a budget for which you could buy a decent piece of audio component.

Once the money is spent on cables that money is gone. So I am more than happy to know that the computer based music server I currently use plays at least as good as a BlueSound Vault2 dedicated audio server.

For real quality time music listening I still put on a record or CD anyway. But the streaming SQ comes close enough to enjoy the potential of my music system.

1 Like

I’m putting in this reply mostly as a shout out to Pink Faun. I originally bought the 2.16. Subsequently I sent it back to Jord to have it updated to the 2.16x with the ultra clocks. Just yesterday, I had a TeamView session with Jord, where he installed Euphony Stylus onto the server.

The sound out of this machine has improved with each upgrade and is simply spectacular. It blows away my Roon Nucleus in every area. It’s hard to imagine going back to anything else.

The only thing better than the build of the server and its sound quality is the customer service. Jord has always been available and immediately receptive to questions. His upgrade of my server to 2.16x was managed quickly (inside of a week), with constant updates on the progress. In spite of being in the middle of rolling out the 2.16 Ultra and retooling his workshop, He spent over 90 minutes putting Euphony on my server at no charge. I don’t know any other company that comes close (except maybe PS Audio).

6 Likes

It is wonderfully satisfying to receive this level of service.

1 Like