DirectStream DAC video posted

Howdy oddeophile

Need to be updated? :) We can update the firmware and I do at times squeeze in new features (and more rarely find new ways of getting better sound). I've noticed no unexpected sound differences in my FPGA compiles of working code. I sure have had some funny sounding bugs.

-Ted

Hi, Ted. Well, first, a great big "thank you" for being a genius. Now, don't be modest, please! We are all blessed (and will be consistently reminding oursleves once we get the chance to hold one of these babies in our hands) by what you have been able to achieve, so you deserve it.

I really am happy with what I am reading and hearing about this. Count me in. I'll figure out how to pay for it somehow. :-w

Best,

Odd

@Elk: Arenā€™t we, though. :wink:

I promise to not go home before part 2 has been published. Ted takes a lot LESS editing, to be honest, but he also talks for an extraordinarily long time. Then thereā€™s the Q and A part. Plus I have a day job. :slight_smile:

@johno@datacom.co.nz Thanks John!

@Paul I hear you are going to be coming to AZ next month to host our AAVC meeting! Awesome! Are you going to bring your DSD (DirectStreamDac) !?!

Also- when can we pre-order!?!

Whatā€™s the thoughts on a trade with factory final testing vs the kit ? Can we be sure it will meet all specs ?

I promise to not go home before part 2 has been published. Ted takes a lot LESS editing, to be honest, but he also talks for an extraordinarily long time. Then there's the Q and A part. Plus I have a day job. :)

Paul, you have a Day Job?? What is it? Doesn't PS Audio pay the bills? :D

Don't waste too much time on editing, just chop it up into watchable chunks (15~30 minutes?) and post 'em all so we don't miss anything... :O :)

J.P.

@rogerdn

"Whatā€™s the thoughts on a trade with factory final testing vs the kit ? Can we be sure it will meet all specs ?"

Iā€™m pretty sure Paul will have a more useful answer based on experience but Iā€™ll try:

There are no adjustments or trimming needed. The boards will, of course, been tested and packed well for shipment. The most likely problem is forgetting one of the ribbon cables or the power connection (Iā€™ve done it myself when Iā€™m swapping cards too quickly.)

The screws for the various connectors are there for both for strain relief and EMI control. Donā€™t skip them, especially the TOSLink connector, it has a pretty firm connection.

Tho proper care should be taken (the wrist strap, etc.) the boards arenā€™t particularly delicate.

Any estimates on availability of the kits and maybe a price?

Check the DirectStream thread. This thread has the most information on PSA's new product.

I want it! Take my preorder :slight_smile:

But I am curious - how does it compare to the dCs gear - I thought some reviewers opined their PCM to DSD conversion doesnā€™t contribute muchā€¦

Any comments?

Ted,

Can the FPGA be reprogrammed in the unit or does it have to be programmed off of the PWB? I thought FPGAs were just one-shot devices that could be programmed only once, let alone by a firmware update.

Thanks.

ā€“SSW

@streets still works

FPGAs need to are programmed every time they loose power. We bit-bang the program in during the boot process. The code is stored in a flash and is updated in the unit just the same as the UI codeā€¦

taking preorders now call Mayora

In terms of components used, (parts, quality of parts, different configuration of partsā€¦etc.), and design topology, how outdated will an updated (DIY) version of a PWD MKII be in comparison to the new Direct Stream DAC (i.e.: even with the upgrade ā€œdrop-in pieceā€ added to the PWD MKII, there must be some other significant differences in the overall build of the new DAC vs the PWD, so just how close will an upgraded PWD MKII sound/function in comparison)? One has to assume that the new Direct Stream DAC will sound better, and overall, be a better DAC when compared to a modded/upgraded PWD MKIIā€¦ Or, will the new ad-on, ā€œdrop-in piece/upgradeā€ contain 100-percent of the primary upgrade used to design the new DAC (I canā€™t imagine it willā€¦)?

Ben, Paul said in the Direct Stream thread: ā€œThe upgrade replaces all three boards and the transformer inside, so unfortunately itā€™s the majority of whatā€™s in the PWD itself. All that remains is the chassis and the front panel display.ā€ I donā€™t think there should be a significant difference between a PWD thatā€™s upgraded to a Direct Stream and a new Direct Stream. They should sound the same.

Yep, Iā€™m using a down level box for all of my development so I donā€™t think youā€™ll be missing anything.

Will the directstream handle dsd via hdmi? Iā€™m guessing no but thought Iā€™d ask.

Well, no and yes. It depends on what you mean by HDMI. We donā€™t use (or recognize) the HDMI protocol.

But like other PS Audio products we do do I2S using HDMI cables and connectors, but not in an electrically compatible way with standard HDMI.

The DirectStream adds the capability to also do raw DSD (a clock, a left bit and a right bit per sample) over the same wires. Also of course you can do DSD via DoP (DSD over PCM) thru any input (except possibly TOSLink)