DirectStream DAC vs Schitt Gungnir Multibit

Does anyone have experience with both the Schiit Gungnir Multibit and PS Audio DirectStream DAC? I currently have the Gungnir. It’s a very good DAC, but there are some things I don’t like about it, such as the annoying (to me) click it makes between tracks. For that reason and a desire for even better sonic quality, I’m considering replacing it with the DirectStream. My system is built around a McIntosh MA7900 integrated amp, Roon Nucleus (ethernet connection), good cables and power cords, and Salk Song Tower speakers (Song3 Encore speakers on order, 7 months and counting). I’d be interested in comments from anyone with experience with both DACs. Thanks!

Hey softlight64…

Welcome to this wonderful forum…while I do have DS dac,
I dont have the Gungnir and therefore can’t say…but someone
here may well be able to…

My DS dac is fed by Oppo 205 resulting in a wonderful combination.
My 205 fuctions as server…

As for my DS it is stock no mods b/c warranty… it is new… out of the box
it was wonderful…and has gotten so much better!!

Cannot say enough for the DS!!

Best wishes

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I had the Gumby and went to the DS Jr which was a worthwhile upgrade. I had no regrets. Ultimately I later upgraded to the DS “senior” and similarly had no regrets. I am not a wordsmith when it comes to describing the upgrade in sound. The music from the PS Audio products just seem more real and lifelike compared to the good valued Schitt Dac.

4 Likes

Very interesting, thanks!