Directstream MK2 used without a Preamp

Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like

Happy cake day Elk :moon_cake: :shaved_ice: :cake:
Happy birthday

Best wishes

1 Like

Thank you for the well wishes!

Your cake must really old, but good. Like the first car off the line. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Happy cake day Sir!

1 Like

Makes no sense. The “perfect” digital volume control of a DAC is still bettered by a high quality preamp.
I swapped out the BHK Pre and directly connected the MkIl to the amps. All life was gone, and with that the hope I could simply my system.

2 Likes

It’s not the volume control you are listening to. With a DSD DAC there’s noise that doesn’t get quieter when you turn the volume down. At a certain point the signal is quiet enough that the noise intrudes. If your system is gain matched (each device expects about the same level as the previous device provides) then you may well find that a preamp isn’t needed. I’m of the opinion that a quality preamp is always a good idea, and with one I don’t mind using the DS’s volume for going down to, say, 60 (-20dB) or using my preamps volume - I wouldn’t try to get away without a preamp if I had to normally have the DAC’s volume below 50 or 60, but even at those levels some like the system better without a preamp.

6 Likes

My all tube Atma-sphere preamp is out for upgrading, so I’ll be listening to my MKII without a pre for a while. I do have a Very high quality passive I have been using while the preamp is away, basically a stepped volume control, and was impressed how good my MKI sounded (at 100) into the passive then to the BHK300.

Thanks for all the shared info! If the designer is saying the DAC really prefers a good pre in the mix, I might want to proceed with caution. I do have an Anthem MRX 1140 that is used for HT duty - I could put that in the 2 channel mix but my hesitation is when I’ve played around in the past, when I had other Pre’s dedicated for 2 channel, the Anthem never held up to those. Happy Cake Day Erik - thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

1 Like

The 1120 and 1140 are underwhelming for 2-chan. I suggest you add a pre with HT bypass. The BHK Pre is a great place to start. I see them come up on the used market frequently.

I am of course happy to help you spend your money :wink:

3 Likes

Hah - yeah, I’ve had some nice pre’s rotate through, both tube based and SS.

Just cleaned out my stable of equipment to pair things down with the P1. I’ll have to decide on if I want to jump right back in or build around the P1.

You are spot on for 2 channel listening with the 1140 using it’s Pre, it’s always underwhelmed me when I’ve tried.

My MK2 has a balance control. Long pressing the menu button opens the balance control as the first item.

1 Like

Thanks. I meant to say no balance from the remote.

Happy Cake Day @Elk
Thanks for keeping the herd of cats under control

3 Likes

Ah yes, the remote. My listening seat does not have line-of-sight to any of my rig so I don’t use remotes. Would you know of a solution that would allow remotes to work around corners?

There’s all kinds of IR repeaters or more sophisticated remotes like Control4 (this is what I use).

This is an interesting possibility:

SIIG Pro Wireless IR Remote Control Extender Kit, Infrared Repeater Signal Booster, IR 20 to 60 KHz - USB Powered Transmitter and Receiver with Pairing Button - 200M (656Ft) Range CE-RC0111-S1 https://a.co/d/6Mskfwu

Sweet. I have found many unit too. the web is a wonderful resource when one uses it. :woozy_face: thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

Why not connect the MK2 to the balanced analog inputs of the Lumin P1?

2muchgear - that’s a great idea - problem is if I get the MK2 I need to sell the P1 - my better half would give me your handle if she could.

1 Like

Thanks!