Directstream MK2 used without a Preamp

If you sell the P1, what will you use for a streamer? You know, the DAC in the P1 might not be all that bad. Have you try using it as a standalone DAC? I tried a Esoteric N-10XD Streamer/DAC before and it sounded worst than my MK2 and standalone streamer. But when I use the outboard streamer into the DAC section of the N-01XD, the sound opened up to almost sounding as good as the MK2. The streamer inside the DAC really kills the sound.

I’ve heard that the Playback Design DAC sounds exceptionally good without a preamp, but it’s costs 3 times more than the DSD MKII.

Hi Clifton,

I would be going with a Lumin U2 mini streaming to a MK2 - what I would be missing is a solid Pre for 2 channel. I could use my HT Receiver for a bit, it’s an Anthem 1140, hasn’t been that stellar when I have tried it in the past for 2 channel.

You are likely right, the P1 by all accounts should be really solid. It’s been inconsistent in my set up but that could be due to power or my set up.

1 Like

That’s a nice combination, but keep your Anthem out of the system. The Anthem will really degrade the sound. The MK2 will sound fabulous going straight into your Krell amps. You can get even better performance from the MK2 with a really high quality preamp, but the preamp will have to be as good or better than the BHK Pre, then you can even use your HT in the bypass input of the preamp, if you want. You can really think about a better preamp at a later date since it is an option and the MK2 will sound pretty good even without it.

Like what Paul and Ted said, putting a noisy streamer together with a DAC is not recommended for good sound. Keep it separate.

Be that as it may, if you appreciate what Anthem Room Correction (ARC) can accomplish, consider picking up a gently used Anthem AVM 50v or Anthem AVM D2v. These units are a bit long in the tooth now but they have excellent AES/balanced analogue inputs and offer that ARC magic.

These older units can be picked up on the used market at great prices from time to time.

Just a suggestion…

Safe travels to you on your audio journey.

Hi All - thanks for all the suggestions, information and recommendations, really appreciate it!

This forum very welcoming, stands out from others in a positive way.

Keep the advice, information coming.

Thanks!

2 Likes

An oasis in the desert that is the internet of “uncivility”, in my opinion…

Welcome to the oasis.

1 Like

Thanks Scotte1,

Have you had either in your set up for 2 channel? I see some on the used market and I am thinking of pulling the trigger.

I currently (and have for years) used an Anthem AVM 50v as my pre-amp, as my system does double duty (7.x surround sound for HT and 2.1 for stereo).

The AVM 50v has a (in my opinion) great balanced analogue input, which I use to connect my PS Audio DirectStream DAC (MK I).

Many folks don’t care for DSP. However, in my experience, I would never go without the benefits of Anthem Room Correction for my 2.1 channel operations.

Since I have owned the Anthem, I have never preferred listening to stereo with the room/speaker correction function turned off. The Anthem allows for a quick A/B comparison of DSP or no DSP and I have yet to configure the room, speaker placement or add a piece of kit whereby the system sounds better without ARC.

YMMV.

Be sure to grab an AVM 50v or D2v that has two HDMI outputs (not relevant for your operation, but indicative of having the latest version of the innards and ARC available at the time of their being discontinued). If the unit does not have two HDMI outputs, then you will be buying something that is too far out of date, in my opinion.

Here is a picture of my current set up, with the Anthem front and center:

Regards.

PS

And make sure the seller is including everything necessary to run the room correction software. I believe you can confirm what is required on the Anthem AV website or by contacting Anthem customer service.

3 Likes

What is the fabric covering the MKI? Just wondering if that makes the unit run hotter.

As you probably know, there are no vents on top of the DirectStream DAC or the DirectStream Memory Player. However, they do have the touch-me-not lacquered top covers.

I keep the PS Audio “pillow case” that each piece of kit was enclosed in when shipped draped across the top to prevent dust accumulation and scratches of the surface.

I have never gotten the sense the DS or DMP run any hotter with the pillow cases draped over them.

Cheers.

Thanks for the tip on the HDMI inputs, much appreciated!

That is a beautiful set up and quite a collection of gear.

You’re welcome and thank you too.

Good luck and please keep us informed on your progress.

SEE

I always forget how cool your rig is.

Thanks.

SEE

Hi Scotte - I took your advice and bought a used D2 with Arc. It will be there as an option if I don’t like the MK2 going direct to my amp. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

Very exciting…

Looking forward to hearing more about your experience, which I hope is exceptional.

Best of luck to you.

Scott

The fixed level noise floor on the MK2 gave me problems with my Purifi amp and speakers over 90dB sensitivity. Had to add -20dB attenuators so that could run the MK2 volume output at 60 instead of 30. My amp also has a dial for attenuation. That worked while I waited over a month for quality attenuators from Rothwell Audio in the UK.

1 Like

Thanks,. I actually have attenuators, sounds like the same ones you have.

Did those solve the issues, are you happy with the sound/ performance now.

Thanks,

Thanks for the post…just put in an order for a pair of Rothwell -20dB XLR attenuators, hoping to see if I can skip the preamp with this.