DS SR DAC wired direct to Amp

Looking forward to your observations (please)…

Me too! :grin:

Thank you all for your excellent feedback as always. As I started to write this reply I realized I couldn’t remember when I got the new DS DAC up and running. I had to look back to the night I opened this thread …so yes, about 3 days ago. I haven’t got much sleep for the last 72 hours. I’ve been up late into the night listening to the DS DAC as it (and the new coaxial cable) continues to break in. I’m at a bit of a loss to explain how good the DS DAC sounds (it came with Windom). For starters it is pulling detail off my CD collection that I didn’t know was there. It’s not only the detail but the highs, lows, and mids have all improved. I thought the system sounded excellent already so how the heck am I supposed to describe it now? Beyond CD the DS DAC has opened up the world of digital music for me. I listened to 320K MP3’s w/NAD C568/Wolfson DAC before this, and was perfectly happy. But somehow those MP3’s sound better now while bypassing the Wolfson DAC and going through the DS DAC scrubbing process (the secret sauce :-)). And sending Hi-res 24-bit FLAC files through the DS DAC can get my heart racing, like vinyl does. I wonder what will happen to my records now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I have to figure out how I can get some good sleep soon. Monday is fast approaching.

2 Likes

The BHK Preamp improves the DS DAC in all ways. Lower noise floor, wider sound stage, better bass, better instrument separation. I got BHK preamp as open box with “low hours” on the tubes. Apparently, the prior owner had decided to change the tubes out and it came with PSVANE tubes which were not great, but there was still an improvement. I had a matched pair of Telefunken 12au7’s from the 1960’s that I swapped in and the improvement was stunning. I’m very happy with this purchase. Now to audition XLR cables…

2 Likes