Ethernet Cables and Sound

You know if you’ve got dementia if you can remember small details from decades ago but not what you had for breakfast. So if you remember the details of a long gone reel-to-reel tape machine but can’t remember the last time you saw a streamer, you’re in real trouble.

As for my name, it escapes me.

1 Like

Hi Galen, I also have a pair of ML CLX speakers. I’m sure you are using Iconoclast speaker cable I’m curious of what conductor are you using? Also what are you using for amplification? Thanks, Paul

1 Like

Paul,

I used the SPTPC or TPC with them, usually the SPTPC stayed hooked up with a MOON W-8 amplifier. Dead stable into the CLX.

I used two BF212 subs but DID NOT use the built-in filter slope downloaded per USB, or the DSP! I set the subs to MANUAL and set the level to 6.0 and the 25 Hz to -4dB and the cross-over to 55 Hz in my room.

Use the Perfect bass kit to look at your room. Mine is 39 feet long and I have a 25-30 Hz bass peak of 8 dB. I CUT the 25 Hz 4-6 dB as the 25 Hz lump of bass kills the speakers midrange.

Best,
Galen

2 Likes

QED has some OK stuff based on measure but…you need to show the UGLY, too. Cable phase is lowest at 25 KHz as phase goes to resistive (pure resistor is zero phase) as frequency goes up. RF frequency coaxial cables terminate into a resistor on the NIC card to prove the point.

Cable gets reactive as frequency goes down below. At 20 Hz it is 45 degrees. My data agrees with theirs, but I feel we need to see the entire sweep, not just the “best” spot.

Yes, low PHASE is correlated with inductance at 25 KHz, but it doesn’t stay in the 5-10 degree value for long as frequency drops.

If you look at the recent paper in PS Audio’s COPPER, I show what’s happening. I have that paper if you like. Data is good and ALL the data is better.

Best,
Galen

1 Like

Isn’t there a rule that once Supertramp is mentioned a thread has to be locked down?

2 Likes

Oh, sorry, I didn’t know about the Supertramp thing.

Best,
Galen

2 Likes

So many choices with the Iconoclast RCA cables. Is it better to go with the 1x1 using OFE or the 1x4 with TPC? They’re about the same amount of money.

If it is analog, the 1x4 is optimized best for that. The 1x4 (four 30 AWG wires in the conductor) is a nice improvement over the GEN 1 design for analog signals. The better OFE copper in the 1x1 (one 25 AWG conductor) design isn’t going to sound as good as the 1x4 in TPC as the Vp linearity and coherence improvements really show up in the analog optimized design. And yes, the TPC 1x4 is cheaper than the 1x1 OFE. Try them out and see!

I designed the GEN 1 XLR @ AES/EBU impedance for the BAV XLR design, as the pro’s use digital audio. The RCA was set-up to match the GEN 1 XLR in reactive properties (L and C) so the sound quality is matched using the gen 1 RCA and XLR for analog audio. This also matches the higher impedance.

The impedance when using the RCA or XLR analog isn’t as critical as digital so the GEN II 1x4 and 4x4 can be optimized for audio frequencies and not worry about AES/EBU. Thus the GEN II RCA and XLR are analog only optimized designs.

OK but what about RCA 75-ohm SPDIF? For that we recommend using an optimize digital cable, 1694A. People have used the GEN 1 RCA for SPDIF with a solid copper signal wire (DO NOT use the GEN II for digital) and reported good results. But it isn’t the right impedance for 75-ohm SPDIF because GEN 1 RCA is matched to the AES/EBU 115-ohm +/- 15 OHM standard the XLR needed for the pro market.

Out of the ICONOCLAST project, the trickle down product to the wider market is the BAV XLR AES/EBU design. The pro’s don’t use RCA or speaker cables (XLR input powered speakers).

SUMMARY
ANALOG - use the 1x4 GEN II RCA
SPDIF DIGITAL - use the 1694A RCA.

Best,
Galen

3 Likes

Oops! Yes, this is for analog from a DAC to my home theater amplifier. The amp doesn’t have XLR inputs. Thanks for all the great information. I’ll give the GEN II RCA’s a try!

I decided to go with the Gen II, 1x4 in OFE. Galen, your input and participation gave me the confidence to spend the extra. You are amazing!

I went with 5 feet based on the comment from the other person who said that the extra length helped.

And so the package landed from the other side of the world containing some blue cables,but no jeans that I can tell. I´ve been listening now for some time these new cat6 UTP cables and first impressions are clear. At first I plugged in 3 footer from EtherRegen B side to Innuos Zen mk3. I have tried all kinds of cat cables there before and was surprised to hear the best sound so far,no doubt about it. After getting a little used to this new level of realism which reminded me of installing Iconoclast UPOCC xlr and speaker cables to my system,it was time to go from router to ER 25 foot length.
And what do you know,same improvement again.

I am a little surprised now because I have tried so many cat cables before and none could come to this. Inakustik cat6 or 7 closest but still not quite there. This being first impressions now after a few hours of playing.

( I still love my Inakustik USB ) :innocent: :joy: