Female audiophiles

I hope it is a safe space for all.

I enjoy the occasional reminders we get that it is SAF (Spouse Acceptance Factor), not WAF. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been happily surprised at the last two shows I attended - FLAX in Tampa and AXPONA. In both cases I saw more women than in previous years. Maybe some in the industry will be able to figure out how to interact with these potential customers in ways that will work. My wife was very much my reliable second set of ears. She loved to listen to and play music without the curse of audio nervosa, but in living with me for so long she learned how to pick up on things that would affect the way my system made music. I relied on her often to keep myself from believing my own B.S. In many more ways than this she is greatly missed. :disappointed:

4 Likes

So sorry. I can’t imagine. My wife is far more prepared to live without me than I am to live without her.

2 Likes

What amsco15 said. That truly sucks Tony.

The high-end audio market thrives on obsessive behavior, particularly as it relates to hardware. Regardless of how we all feel, my guess is the statistics vastly support the notion that “boys love their toys.” The women contributors to this hobby/industry likely approach the hobby from a music-first perspective, which is what many of us men also claim, but our conversations and bank accounts say otherwise.

2 Likes

Sorry but the phrase stays WAF in my house. The PC stuff just doesn’t work for me. Never will. Enjoy the music.

1 Like

Thanks @amsco15 and @stevem2.

I think what @JeffofArabica said is more true than we’d care to admit.

2 Likes

I have never thought of it as PC. Rather, as a little acknowledgment audio system acceptance is not limited to those of the female gender, not all relationships are the same, a woman may be the audiophile, etc.

Of course, one can go with HAF of WAF on a case by case basis to eliminate the global style nomenclature of SAF. No political correctness required, but you need to know the details of the relationship and who owns the system. I typically do not want to know this much. :slight_smile:

It gets tricky when the relationship is other than married. Significant other acceptance factor? Roommate acceptance factor? Person who happens to share the same living space and likely to have an opinion acceptance factor? Just contemplating the complexities makes me need a nap.

Summary: Do not take things so seriously. As I mentioned, I enjoy the little reminders - the world is complex. But use WAF if you would like. :yum:

2 Likes

What about Llama acceptance factor? ; )

1 Like

They do have great ears.

1 Like

My wife of 57 years is an individual as I am - and gender is not an indicator of who we are at all. She has specific interests other than some of mine as I do too. We obviously share more than divergent. She loves gardening and spend hours on it and i appreciate it but would have a desert outside if it required my input. We both love music, same tastes, but I am into the equipment to achieve the best possible and she is the bastion of reason against turning our living room into looking like a NASA control center. That can be called WAF, and I do, but it’s a good thing IMO.

An oxymoron, to be sure.

One hundred percent agree. As soon as I see or read stuff that objectifies women, I’m gone. So many internet based audiophile spaces include comment and conduct that would make my wife and my daughter barf. I ain’t going there.

4 Likes

That is the crux of my point Elk…the PC world takes everything too seriously…

WAF is it. :innocent:

Sex sells, that’s why the manufacturers use the scantily dressed models. It doesn’t sell me anything, but is probably designed / intended to draw your attention to the ads.

Well, an objective take on this very specific nomenclature would yield a conclusion that significant others are often described in conversations as husbands, wives, spouses, and partners. The way I see it, none of those are offensive, just matter of fact. My significant other happens to be female and I refer to her as my wife. I see nothing wrong with my literal reference to whether or not she accepts the many audio related things I do, as WAF. I could also use S(spousal)AF as a viable alternative and still be correct. If I had a husband, I would use HAF.

Likewise, a female audiophile has every right to refer to her significant other’s acceptance of what they do as HAF, WAF, SAF or PAF.

This is all taking into consideration the use of these acronyms is relative to the author’s domestic situation and not as a blanket insinuation that all audiophiles are male and all audiophiles only have wives.

1 Like

This is precisely why I do not see this as a “PC” issue. Using another form or expressing a preference is not dictating anything. It is merely a reminder the world can be complex.

All of this is fascinating in a way similar to reading the daily news/watching a train wreck ; )

But - any women care to respond here? Just with a “Yup - here”. Would not fault you for keeping on the sidelines, but I doubt very much you would get your head bitten off if you did. I know plenty of smart folks who never post. I often think they’re smarter than me, simply based on that : )

This is a thread more properly instigated by a female audiophile.

1 Like

I agree that the “pc” universe has elevated self righteousness to a virtue, which it most certainly isn’t.

1 Like

Funny, my wife finds the PC stuff distasteful as well. People have become polarized on what constitutes that type of speech.